Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Where can I learn to tokenize well?

python

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 Kreative

Kreative

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:53 AM

Hello,

I am using python to create an interpreter for a practice language of mine, I have started to create a tokenizer within a function using my understanding of code and mainly imagination, however I can't seem to produce an efficient and properly working loop as I encounter many errors which require changing code whilst also keeping in mind efficiency. I am aiming to loop through a bulk string once and return a list of string tokens, however this has proved to be quite difficult. I have decided to search the web for either tutorials of how to build a tokenizer or examples of actual language tokenizers, yet I had no luck finding any. Now I am here to see if anyone in these forums could reference me to any tutorials of tokenizing or language tokenizers or help me build my own. Any help is appreciated.

Note: The language that the python program interprets contains a few kinds of delimiters, many types of operators some containing characters of other operators such as "+", "+=" and "++", strings and chars and escape sequences including the escape quatation mark to be able to include the same quotation marks within a string or char definition. Ultimately, strings are lists of chars in the language, though they can be defined using string quatation marks.

Kind Regards,
Kreative

Edited by Kreative, 26 December 2015 - 09:00 AM.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download