Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

I give up.

done

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:37 AM

So, I've been thinking about this for a while as I continue to swat spam while seeing very few real questions. I've been on the forum for 9 years, been a moderator for most of that, and survived multiple owners.

Looking at the content, membership, etc, I think it's safe to say this forum is dead. I can't reach the new owner. I see only two other members commenting regularly. It's been a good run, I've still got my CodeCall t-shirt, mugs,  and a lot of good memories. Despite that, I think it's time to admit to myself that a site I've been a huge part of is dying, at long last.

I'll peek in from time to time, but I can't justify spending tons of time trying to prop up a website that appears to be dead, or at least on life support. I know it could be revived, but that's going to take a lot of hard work and commitment that I just don't have in myself, and that I don't think should be my responsibility. I've never been interested in being the owner, or I would have bought the site long ago.

I hope it recovers, but for now, I don't see a point in being here, when there are so many other vibrant coding sites I could be contributing to. I've turned on email notifications to PMs if any of you want to reach out to me, but I don't expect to check in regularly.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#2 SheharyarKhan

SheharyarKhan

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:10 PM

How can we reach you? Your email address? If you are getting notification, please look into the attached code and suggest me solution. Thank you in advance!

Attached Files

#3 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:44 PM

Thank you WingedPanther73 for all that time.

I pretty much got the same reflection a while ago, and get the same result (but without the mugs or tshirts).

I had a lots of fun over the years here, and I know it's in big part because of you

Hope you'll find a new home (forum home) and have fun :)

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#4 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Objective-C

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:49 PM

Sad to see you go, WP. You've been an integral part of the CC community, and I think I speak for everyone here that we've learned a lot from you. Happy Coding!

PS: I think this makes me the last moderator left...  :eek:

sudo rm -rf / && echo $'Sanitize your inputs!'

#5 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:08 PM

Thanks guys.

Shehary... perhaps you should make your own thread? You linked code (not downloaded, much less examined) with no reference to language, issue, etc.

#6 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Bash

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:33 AM

WP, it is truly sad, but I concur.  I just never thought about making it official.

It's the nature of coding sites.  People come and people go.  Unfortunately, it seems like the last regime change was the death knell.   I guess most people don't understand the amount of commitment needed to keep a site like this alive.  It's like a second job.  Moderators are like Offensive Lineman in (American) Football: You don't appreciate them until something happens for you to miss them.

Since joining, I have met a lot of programmers (including beginner programmers) that are genuinely appreciative of your time and knowledge.  Those beginner programmers also appreciate the fact that we don't hand feed them the answer, but help them discover the answer for themselves, which helps to solidify the answer in their head as well as boost their confidence in their ability to figure problems out.

The thing that makes it "worth it", is those private messages thanking you for your help on a problem, and hearing that they got their degree.  I wish those people the best in life.  I'm sure they will be successful.

Unfortunately, there have been a bunch of belligerent beginner "programmers" that do not appreciate anything.  They "expect" the answer being given to them.  They don't appreciate that they are getting help from a working professional consultant that would cost them close to $200/hr in the private sector.    In my (no so) humble opinion, They don't have the drive necessary to be a real programmer, and should either change their attitude, or change their focus on a profession..  

I still check the board every other day or so.  But it has become less and less frequent.  So, I won't be giving my goodbye posting yet.  Mainly because nobody except a handful of us would ever see it :)  I don't know when I will simply delete the link to this site and it will be nothing more than a fond memory, but that day is coming soon.

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#7 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:39 PM

Right now, I'm finishing the few conversations I was in before the announcement, but not diving into new ones.

#8 Kreative

Kreative

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:50 PM

Even though I have been here for less than a month, heck maybe just over a week? For another indefinitely long round of good times, I suggest that you should find a spring of motivation and inspiration, perhaps explore some of nature's grandest beauties, and rekindle the commitment and motivation to create and sustain. Go and create your own forum, your own universe, ignite some vibrant discussions and share your motivation with those who have a common passion, for that is the purpose of life! Just have to have the right mindset. :)

Kind Regards,
Kreative

Edited by Kreative, 05 November 2015 - 02:50 PM.

#9 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Others
  • Learning:Assembly, Others

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:21 PM

I pretty much came to the same conclusion a while back, and have only checked in every now and then.  I want to say thank you as well WP for all of the help and wise words!

FACEB00K Likes this.

#10 Ewe Loon

Ewe Loon

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:17 PM

Any suggestions for another good forum 

with a working registration for new users, the last few i tried didn't send the email to verify the registration

#11 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Objective-C

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:25 AM

Stack Overflow?

sudo rm -rf / && echo $'Sanitize your inputs!'

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: done