Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Most fitting language/library for this project?

language library

Best Answer dargueta, 03 September 2015 - 10:10 PM

Programs can run in the background, but they can't monitor the mouse or keyboard while they're in the background. That's what a keylogger does - monitor the keyboard while running in the background.

Go to the full post

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Totte

Totte

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:46 AM

Hi, I'm trying to learn programming and I got this project I'd like to do.

I'd like to do a background program/process which plays a sound file when X key is pressed on the keyboard. Therefore it has to work when the windows is not focused. I was fooling around with PyGame and that works..until I want to run it in the background. :P

Which would be the most fitting language/library for such project?

I'm most comfortable with Python, tho I've been fooling around with pretty much every major language and knows the basics. Mainly I prefer Python or Java.

The idea of my app is just a fun app to add sounds to the MMORPG game Tibia. (Mainly when you shoot spells)

I'm doing this for fun and for learning, but as said, I'm not quite sure which language and resources to use.

#2 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:30 PM

Um... So you want this to make spell-shooting sounds while you're typing in Word (or in anything else, really)?

What you're going to have to do is write a keylogger, which for most cases is used as a virus to steal passwords by monitoring what you're typing. Though you have totally benign intentions, what you're trying to do is a well-known security threat. Note how many times the words "malware" and "virus" are in that article.

Edited by dargueta, 02 September 2015 - 07:33 PM.

sudo rm -rf / && echo $'Sanitize your inputs!'

#3 Totte

Totte

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:38 AM

Um... So you want this to make spell-shooting sounds while you're typing in Word (or in anything else, really)?

What you're going to have to do is write a keylogger, which for most cases is used as a virus to steal passwords by monitoring what you're typing. Though you have totally benign intentions, what you're trying to do is a well-known security threat. Note how many times the words "malware" and "virus" are in that article.

Why would a program that runs in the background be a keylogger? My Steam runs in the background, is that a keylogger? I run Spotify in the background, is that a keylogger? o.O I don't get your argument. No I don't want sounds in Words, I want to make sounds for a soundless game, just as a fun project. I intend to turn off this app when I'm not playing the game.

Edited by Totte, 03 September 2015 - 12:39 AM.

#4 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:10 PM   Best Answer

Programs can run in the background, but they can't monitor the mouse or keyboard while they're in the background. That's what a keylogger does - monitor the keyboard while running in the background.

sudo rm -rf / && echo $'Sanitize your inputs!'

#5 Totte

Totte

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:39 AM

Ah okay, then I'm following :D

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download