Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

C++ 2015 Visual Studio Compile Downloaded Code

c++ compile vs2015

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 zephyr9581

zephyr9581

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:38 AM

Hiya,

Im really sorry if this is a simple error but im brand new to this language, im trying to use a downloaded program that has been written in C++ and runs perfectly as an exe file.

However i wish to make some changes to the source code (uncomment an optional section) and therefore need to compile it again after. I downloaded Visual Studio Community 2015 and have spent a few days attempting to slog through the numerous tutiorials explaining the steps to take. However because this is such a big project i think i have to use a library? or something like that?

The project is formed of:

One main program with :

3 .dat file (data input)

8 .cpp files

2 .h files

And then two inner programes (that run from the same data files but are saved in a folder within the main program file)

The first inner program has

3 .cpp files

1 .h file

The other has

2 .cpp files

Ive attached the orginal files as zip folders.

All i need to do is uncomment one of the sections in the Cnodial.cpp file

Any advice at all would be really apprciated, if anyone can point in the direction to look that would be wondeful.

Thanks so much

Attached Files

#2 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:47 AM

Er... Do you know what you need to uncomment?

sudo rm -rf / && echo $'Sanitize your inputs!'

#3 zephyr9581

zephyr9581

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:06 AM

Er... Do you know what you need to uncomment?

Hiya, thanks for replying, Yeah its clearly marked in the .ccp file which bit to uncomment but its the set up of the project im struggling with; organising the three folders in each other.

#4 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:15 PM

The problem is that they appear to be three different targets, so you're going to have to create three separate VS projects.

#5 zephyr9581

zephyr9581

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

Hiya, 

Yes sorry I've got to the part where I've set up three projects in one solution, but how do i link them together? 

One is a stand alone program (Fourier) but the other two are dependent on data inputs and definitions from the main program (Stokes and Cnoidal). This is all aiming towards three separate .exe programs where the Stokes and Cnoidal are run from a sub folder of Fourier. 

I'm getting 'unresolved external symbol' errors because i dont think i have linked correctly (if at all) 

I have edited the project dependencies so that Stokes and Cnoidal are dependent on Fourier and Fourier loads first but I'm guessing there's more?

#6 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:28 PM

What do you mean by "link them together?" I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. If Stokes and Cnoidal are separate programs (i.e. have their own .exe files) it'll probably be annoying to "link" them together because you'll have to write your own program and make them subroutines.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download