Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Microsoft C# Certification exam?

c# exam test prep

Best Answer Tchpowdog, 11 September 2015 - 08:35 AM

I know they have a new certification "structure" now.  The following link shows Microsoft's certification roadmap.  My guess is you would want to go the MCSD route.  But as you can see, there's several prerequisites and stuff you need.

https://www.microsof...s-road-map.html

Imo, you don't need a cert.  I don't have any certifications AND I'm self-taught.  It took me about 2 years to learn programming on my own; reading books, doing examples, etc.  After I felt I was ready, I did contract work on weekends for about 2 years for little-to-nothing JUST to build up a portfolio.  Employers in this industry LOVE portfolios, btw.  Be sure to grab screen shots of your code, applications, etc. ONLY IF your project is not under a non-disclosure agreement!  It took many interviews until a company gave me a job but I finally landed one, a nice one!  I've been here for 2 years now and I've learned ten times as much here as I did doing contract work.  Now, I could probably get a job anywhere.

But as for you, honestly, if you have a 4-year degree in Computer Science, that's all you need.  If you want certifications, get a job first and maybe they will pay for your certification and learning tools.  Some higher level positions, depending where you go, MAY require certs, but those are usually the employers who will pay for your certs.  Good luck! 

Another thing - have confidence!!  If you show lack of confidence, you won't get hired!  Let them know that you will do everything it takes to learn new material and get the job done.  This industry is so broad and ever-changing, EVERY developer has to stay "up with the new".  If Bill Gates stopped programming for 5 years, he would have a lot of catching up to do if he wanted to re-enter the industry.  That's just the way it is.

Go to the full post

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:54 PM

Hey guys and gals,

So I graduated university back in 2009 with a degree in "Computer Information Systems". My Social anxiety had gotten really bad and I could not speak to the interviewer during my first (only) interview and then I gave up on trying to get a job. I have worked hard at overcoming my social anxiety over the last year and I think I'm ready for a programming job. No one is going to want to hire me after being out of school for so long. I thought I could take the C# certification exam to give myself a better chance of getting a job. I am relearning C# from the ground up (the 16 hours i spent watching videos so far has been mind numbing with how simple they are. can't wait to get to the fun stuff.). My question is which microsoft C# exam is the newest? I googled it and one came up from 2012 ( https://www.microsof...xam-70-483.aspx ) and another was from 2010. I tried searching for 2015 and nothing came up. I just don't want to buy the wrong exam prep book and study the wrong things.

Thanks everyone,

Zero. 

P.S. Is this in the right section or should I have put it in "Everything else"?

Posted Image

#2 Tchpowdog

Tchpowdog

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:35 AM   Best Answer

I know they have a new certification "structure" now.  The following link shows Microsoft's certification roadmap.  My guess is you would want to go the MCSD route.  But as you can see, there's several prerequisites and stuff you need.

https://www.microsof...s-road-map.html

Imo, you don't need a cert.  I don't have any certifications AND I'm self-taught.  It took me about 2 years to learn programming on my own; reading books, doing examples, etc.  After I felt I was ready, I did contract work on weekends for about 2 years for little-to-nothing JUST to build up a portfolio.  Employers in this industry LOVE portfolios, btw.  Be sure to grab screen shots of your code, applications, etc. ONLY IF your project is not under a non-disclosure agreement!  It took many interviews until a company gave me a job but I finally landed one, a nice one!  I've been here for 2 years now and I've learned ten times as much here as I did doing contract work.  Now, I could probably get a job anywhere.

But as for you, honestly, if you have a 4-year degree in Computer Science, that's all you need.  If you want certifications, get a job first and maybe they will pay for your certification and learning tools.  Some higher level positions, depending where you go, MAY require certs, but those are usually the employers who will pay for your certs.  Good luck! 

Another thing - have confidence!!  If you show lack of confidence, you won't get hired!  Let them know that you will do everything it takes to learn new material and get the job done.  This industry is so broad and ever-changing, EVERY developer has to stay "up with the new".  If Bill Gates stopped programming for 5 years, he would have a lot of catching up to do if he wanted to re-enter the industry.  That's just the way it is.

Edited by Tchpowdog, 11 September 2015 - 08:41 AM.