Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Remove DLL Call From Compiled EXE File

call exe dll compiled problem

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 mrcobra92

mrcobra92

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:16 PM

Hello! I am trying to remove a DLL call that causes the program to look for a USB license key. The key I have broke and the company that made it is no longer in existence. The main exe file calls the dll file which is used to look for the USB key, I figured if I could remove that call, I would be set. The problem is I can't figure out how to do so. I have used the dependency viewer to see that it is called, but I don't know how to edit a dependency with a pre-compiled exe file. Sorry I don't know much about this stuff, and help would be much appreciated. I have attached the dll below, the exe was too big to upload. Hope it helps!

Attached Files

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:05 AM

Do you know any programming languages at all?

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 Gikoskos

Gikoskos

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:22 AM

Hello! I am trying to remove a DLL call that causes the program to look for a USB license key. The key I have broke and the company that made it is no longer in existence. The main exe file calls the dll file which is used to look for the USB key, I figured if I could remove that call, I would be set. The problem is I can't figure out how to do so. I have used the dependency viewer to see that it is called, but I don't know how to edit a dependency with a pre-compiled exe file. Sorry I don't know much about this stuff, and help would be much appreciated. I have attached the dll below, the exe was too big to upload. Hope it helps!

Hey, so a dll file is a dynamically linked library, that is a library that's used by the main program during runtime.

It's like an already compiled program that doesn't do anything unless you use it through another program by calling its functions and classes.

I've disassembled your dll and exported all the symbols in a txt file using objdump.

Go ahead, download it and see what is in your DLL file. This is assembly language, which is one level below programming languages and one level above machine code.

Your DLL was already compiled to machine code level (ones and zeros), and disassembling it brought it one level above. Still it's extremely hard and tedious to bring assembly code of this size to programming language level.

This is a process called reverse engineering and in closed-source software it's considered illegal (unless noone finds out you do it ;)).
I'm not saying this is an impossible task to do but unless I know exactly what function you need removed, how it's called in your program, if it's used in your DLL before it's used in the main program, what your main program does, what is it's source code blah blah, and even then it's very very hard and not worth the hard work trust me.
I'm sure there are many other solutions to your problem, because trust me, this is not a solution worth exploring.

Attached Files

Edited by Gikoskos, 07 August 2015 - 10:24 AM.

#4 mrcobra92

mrcobra92

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:29 PM

Do you know any programming languages at all?

No not really.

Hey, so a dll file is a dynamically linked library, that is a library that's used by the main program during runtime.

It's like an already compiled program that doesn't do anything unless you use it through another program by calling its functions and classes.

I've disassembled your dll and exported all the symbols in a txt file using objdump.

Go ahead, download it and see what is in your DLL file. This is assembly language, which is one level below programming languages and one level above machine code.

Your DLL was already compiled to machine code level (ones and zeros), and disassembling it brought it one level above. Still it's extremely hard and tedious to bring assembly code of this size to programming language level.

This is a process called reverse engineering and in closed-source software it's considered illegal (unless noone finds out you do it ;)).
I'm not saying this is an impossible task to do but unless I know exactly what function you need removed, how it's called in your program, if it's used in your DLL before it's used in the main program, what your main program does, what is it's source code blah blah, and even then it's very very hard and not worth the hard work trust me.
I'm sure there are many other solutions to your problem, because trust me, this is not a solution worth exploring.

Thanks for the information! I had no idea about any of that stuff. I suppose I will have to try and find a USB key from someone else. Thanks for the update!