Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Remote job from different time zone

remote

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 finley

finley

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:54 PM

Hi,

I am C# .NET & SQL engineer, currently emplyed in the UK (unfortunately no professional experience with web development). I thought about moving to nice, exotic country with low cost of life (Asia or Latin America). I would like to ask those of you who have experience with remote work if different time zone is a big blocker to find good remote job?

I assume most remote jobs are available in the US but do those companies also hire remote engineers from distant places like e.g. India with reasonable salaries? What are your opinions about this topic?

Thanks!

#2 cwvps

cwvps

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:43 AM

Yes, they do, but I think you will be charging the price like you are in England, right? The reason why they are hiring people from other countries is because these people are as skilled as people in wealthier countries, but they charge less. This is where the companies save money. So, that will be a tough decision for you, I guess.

#3 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Bash

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:59 AM

There are many logistical problems with working with offshore developers.  Along with the time difference, there are cultural differences.

For one small example, check out my blog posting on managing 3 offshore teams:  http://forum.codecal...done-isnt-done/

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#4 Sieneskil

Sieneskil

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:37 AM

Most of employers don't care when do you do your work, they are interested in the result. That's what I like about IT, it's not 9 to 5, you don't need to stay in the office if you've already fulfilled your task.

#5 JohnJPeterson

JohnJPeterson

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:21 AM

Yes they do and you can find freelance projects on most of the freelance sites to work on if you dont wish to do fulltime.

#6 Nicolredmay

Nicolredmay

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:23 PM

When I retire, I’m going to travel the world is a common dream, but why wait for retirement? If seeing the world is your passion, you shouldn’t wait until old age to pursue it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: remote