Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Laptop Buying Advice (CS Student, Little Gaming)

laptop buying advice 2015 computerscience university college

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 vaironl

vaironl

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:51 AM

Hello all,

It’s been a while since I came been in this forum. I really want to say thank you to all of those who contribute here. I have received quite a lot of help and learned so much from this forum.

So my topic, which I know has been answered in previous threads, is looking for suggestions from others to buy a good/decent laptop for multiple purposes. The last time I bought a laptop I made a huge mistake in buying a horrible one and now it seems that every single laptop within my budget <$1,000, preferably <$850 has some major flaw.

I am mainly doing Android, Java, might be required to work on some Linux, and python. I also will sometimes be playing video games like the Kerbal Space Program, etc. I know a programming laptop doesn’t need to have anything crazy, but for my specs I am looking for 8GBs ram+, 1TB or 750GB HDD, and a not so crazy dedicated graphics card (this I can sacrifice). I am mostly looking for something known for durability and hopefully long battery life. I do know that the dedicated graphics card along with other components will not allow it to be a long battery life candidate, but maybe something that can last ~4 hours web browsing and doing some music playing. I also hope it doesn’t overheat much when doing normal stuff like watching videos or playing music. I know it might raise in temp when playing video games and that’s ok. Again, I probably won’t be gaming a lot (barely do it), but I want to have the ability to do so.

I know it’s bad to stick to a single medium to buy this laptop from, but If it’s in amazon it would be a great plus. I have some money left over from a gift card there and would love to use it towards the purchase. So far I have selected these two as likely candidates.

Acer: http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

MSI: http://www.amazon.co...=A23M3KL3V61UGY

The acer has a 5,400rpm hard drive which scares me a bit, I am thinking about something with 7,200rpm. I recently heard the effectiveness of the HDD is not totally dependent on rpms, but I am also not very educated on that area so any input would be great. Thanks a lot all!

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download