Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Learning to program 2d indie games and the time it takes.

programming indie games videogames time effort

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 LambentTyto

LambentTyto

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:06 AM

I'm interested in the indie game scene, and though I'm a writer, I feel like brodening my skillset might help with that. So I figure learning a programming language would definitely help.

However, with anything else, interests come and go. If I decide the indie game market isn't something I'm interested in in a few years, I don't want any programming skills I spent time to learn to rust into ruin.

So, that being said, here's my question from a complete noob who knows absolutely nothing about programming. How long would it take to learn a language to get to the point where I can start programming at the level where I can be of actual use on indie games like say, Terraria/Starbound, or something 2d of that general nature?

Obviously you might need more info. If I was to study programming on my own, I would devote about 10 hours a week to learning the skill. And again, I'm not sure, maybe different languages require different amounts of time to become semi proficient at?

As far as I know, C++ is the general go to language for video games, isn't it? I've heard a lot of other languages are used for 2d games, like Python or Ruby, etc.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Looking forward to any responses by you programmer folk out there.

#2 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:06 PM

Welcome aboard,

First of all, writers are very useful in the game industry, as game script makers.

If I were you I would check game engines, see if you could learn about level and stage mapping more than the core coding. You might be able to write the story, and draft the game map. I am not an expert in the area, but I am pretty sure what I am telling you has a name, and a position into a game making team.

#3 LambentTyto

LambentTyto

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:31 AM

Welcome aboard,

First of all, writers are very useful in the game industry, as game script makers.

If I were you I would check game engines, see if you could learn about level and stage mapping more than the core coding. You might be able to write the story, and draft the game map. I am not an expert in the area, but I am pretty sure what I am telling you has a name, and a position into a game making team.

What you're talking about kind of sounds like a Level Designer.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download