Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Hello and help!

programming

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lornapatrick

lornapatrick

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:48 AM

Hi guys, 

I'm Lorna and I am currently a third year photographic arts student at the University of Westminster and am currently working on my final project. 

I am looking to create a programme to create my work that will constantly take screen shots at 18 seconds of the video of every upload to a specific search term on youtube. So it will be constantly working to take the screen shots of each video uploaded to that search term. 

I'm currently looking to work out if that's possible/how long it would take/ and possibly to find someone that would be interested in collaborating with me on this but any help at this time would be a massive life saver as I have no idea where to start. 

Thank you so so much in advance! 

Lorna

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:46 AM

Welcome aboard!

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 JonElias

JonElias

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Programming Language:Python, JavaScript, Bash
  • Learning:C++, JavaScript, Others

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:19 AM

i can imagine you need some sort of internett emulator, emulated by written code.  there are modules or libaryes out there to get the html data programmically.

but then you have to search on youtube, i went over to youtube and searched "hello world" then i looked at the url and noticed something that can help you:

https://www.youtube....s?search_query=hello+world

so now you know how you can search on youtube programmically, but i have no idea how to go from there

"computers are useless they only give you answers" Pablo Picasso
And yes he was alive when the first programmable computer was made

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:48 PM

Welcome aboard,

I wish you luck in finding help, since it's not a super easy thing to do. Are you going to live your PC working all night? You won't be able to use it (unless you have a second monitor) while the program is working.

Every capture takes the navigation to complete, the video to load, and the 18 seconds video run. I dare say, on good conditions, you could take 2 snapshots per minute, which is not very fast.

I think the programmer you are looking for works on C# or Java, commands the WebBroser objects, and knows about screen capture.

#5 wim DC

wim DC

Roar

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2681 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, JavaScript, PL/SQL
  • Learning:Python

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:31 AM

Before going the 'big' programming language way like C# or Java, I would maybe look into Javascript.

Perhaps you can just create a local .html page where you just unload your Javascript.

I see the Youtube Javascript api has this in it ( I quickly skimmed it):

loadVideoById({'videoId': 'bHQqvYy5KYo', 'startSeconds': 5, 'endSeconds': 60, 'suggestedQuality': 'large'});

Being able to fastforward and pause at 18 seconds will make the total time so much shorter as with both C# and Java where you would emulate a browser to display youtube. At that point you got youtube displaying but there is no way C# or Java will be able to fastforward to the 18 second mark, so you would have to guess and wait about 19ish seconds and then take a random screenshot hoping it's close to 18 seconds.

Edited by wim DC, 11 March 2015 - 12:32 AM.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download