Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Problem creating server for old game

problem game server help please

Best Answer WingedPanther73, 19 February 2015 - 07:00 AM

You're going to have a huge, huge problem with this. Having the game does NOT give you the corresponding server code. At all. You will have barely a hint at what communications are supposed to look like, if you decompile your game code. Even with that, you will have little idea how the server was organized, how it stored data, how it generated various events, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Your best bet would be to approach NCSoft and see if you can purchase the server code and client code from them and release it as an open-source project. Once you find out how much THAT would cost, a kickstarter campaign is probably your best bet to get the funds to purchase the code. THEN there's going to be the issue of setting up a server. This will probably be a non-trivial issue as well. You will need a server with a LOT of bandwidth, or you'll need to figure out a way to repackage the server so groups of people can set up private servers.

None of this is something I would recommend to someone who describes themselves as "a newbie". :( I wish you luck, though, on bringing back the game you love.

Go to the full post

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 DannyBraina

DannyBraina

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:43 AM

Hello guys,i have a a problem with one game,game was deleted since 2010 and i have still all game files,game is called Dungeon Runners,all survivors created a forum dungeonrunnersrefugees.com

we wanted to create a new private server for this game but we dont know where to start  we stucked here http://www.gfycat.co...GrossFieldmousethats all what can i tell you guys,any tips ? i am newbie :/ :D

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:00 AM   Best Answer

You're going to have a huge, huge problem with this. Having the game does NOT give you the corresponding server code. At all. You will have barely a hint at what communications are supposed to look like, if you decompile your game code. Even with that, you will have little idea how the server was organized, how it stored data, how it generated various events, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Your best bet would be to approach NCSoft and see if you can purchase the server code and client code from them and release it as an open-source project. Once you find out how much THAT would cost, a kickstarter campaign is probably your best bet to get the funds to purchase the code. THEN there's going to be the issue of setting up a server. This will probably be a non-trivial issue as well. You will need a server with a LOT of bandwidth, or you'll need to figure out a way to repackage the server so groups of people can set up private servers.

None of this is something I would recommend to someone who describes themselves as "a newbie". :( I wish you luck, though, on bringing back the game you love.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 DannyBraina

DannyBraina

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:04 AM

aw :/ okay thx i wish you the best :)