Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Android IDE. Is it still buggy?

android ide gradle android studio

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:06 PM

Hey guys and gals,

So last year I wanted to get into android development. I never liked eclipse much so i tried out the (then) new "Android Studio" SDK. I liked it but on every project that I worked on I eventually had a problem with Gradle and the project was trashed (this was a well known bug), so I gave up on mobile. It has been a while sense then and I noticed that they are up to 1.X (i was using variations of  0.X). Is there anyone out there who uses Android Studio and could tell me if the Gradle issues have been fixed? I have a few apps I would like to make for personal use.

Thanks,

Zero

Posted Image

#2 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:46 PM

There's a new release this month, and plenty of news about it. Mentioning Gradle of course. So it sounds like they fixed that.

I've never used Android Studio, is it like visual or something? I didn't like Eclipse either, but I ended up in Intellij-Idea.

#3 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:57 PM

Thanks Black Rabbit,

Yes you can do the UI visually if you choose or you can edit the XML directly (a lot like Visual Studio but for android). The coolest part in my opinion is that if you decide to edit the XML directly the visual representation pops up on the right side of the window and shows the changes you are making in real time.

I downloaded it last night and it seems to be working a lot better then before. It has yet to randomly crash or destroy my project. Last time I was lucky to get two hours in without problems.

Posted Image

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:24 PM

So? It's due time to ask: How did it go? Should I download and use it myself?

I hope it's working great and have new features to explore, so... how did it go?

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download