Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Hello!

hello

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TwelveWings

TwelveWings

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Learning:Java, C#, Python

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:08 PM

Hello,

I am an Information Systems major, and I am set to have my Bachelors in May. I have taken a few programming courses (C#, Java, and Python), and found them incredibly enjoyable. Despite this, I am still uncertain if my understanding and abilities are at an acceptable level, considering my inexperience.

With that said, I want to be proficient in my desired career field, and I was directed to join a forum as a way to possibly receive feedback and develop my understanding of the subject. I hope to learn as much as I can, and, possibly, contribute as well.

Thank you!

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:20 AM

Welcome aboard!

Most entry level positions assume you still have a lot of learning left to do. For example, my company hires people with associates degrees. Once hired, you're thrown into having to learn our software, familiarize yourself with Delphi (which almost no college teaches), and start figuring out our database. You spend the first 2-4 weeks feeling like you're doing nothing productive at all.

When jobs indicate they want 5 years experience, that's really how long it takes to move from knowing basics of programming to confidently solving problems and working with large applications. Nothing can really prepare you for understanding a project with a million lines of code. You just have to dive in and find your method of understanding. It sounds intimidating, but good code isn't that hard to understand.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:11 AM

Welcome aboard!

How do twelve wings fit in a body? :P

Edited by BlackRabbit, 17 February 2015 - 09:12 AM.

#4 TwelveWings

TwelveWings

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Learning:Java, C#, Python

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:59 PM

WingedPanther, 

Thank you. That alleviates my anxiety to some extent.

BlackRabbit,

They're actually quite small.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hello

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download