Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Storytime: Plagiarism and Other Funny Student Fails

funny stories student school

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Objective-C

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:40 PM

Post here any stories you might have about stupid things you/your classmates/your students did!

I'm spawning this thread as a continuation of an off-topic conversation appearing in a different thread where a student wanted us to solve his homework for him:

WingedPanther:d
[...] next time we get a "please solve problem X", we could turn it into an Obfuscated Coding challenge for all our regulars. We could provide the code the user needed in a manner they can never turn in.

dargueta:
Anyway, you'd be surprised what people turn in. One of my teachers told me about a time that a girl copied and pasted a Wikipedia article and turned that in as her paper. Problem is, she didn't remove the hyperlinks... FAIL.
WingedPanther:

I actually had a girl who did the extra credit assignment for a different class. I gave her a 0, her mom flipped out. I finally relented and read it, and saw an odd reference to her ACTUAL topic. That got me curious. She had copied two articles and stitched them together. She still got a 0.

I had another student leave in hyperlinks, too.

Edited by dargueta, 16 February 2015 - 11:52 AM.

sudo rm -rf / && echo $'Sanitize your inputs!'

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:20 AM

Actually, the worst on that extra credit research paper assignment was the guy who printed an article from wikipedia, and when I gave him a 0 for plagiarism, said he didn't know what a research paper was... in high school.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:20 PM

Trying to comprehend that and I'm like:

WYpHK1v.gif

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:37 AM

Actually, one of my worst experiences was in a job interview for a branch of ITT tech. The director of the campus was a black lady and one of her questions was something like "What would you do to help ensure minority students are successful?" Now realize, I'd already taught for several years, and my success rate with students was the same regardless of demographic. So I replied with something like, "I believe all students want to be treated with respect and encouragement. As long as they receive clear instruction, I believe every student can be successful." I didn't get a job offer. This, despite the fact that I used to have students begging to take MY class as soon as possible. *sigh*

#5 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:18 AM

Back in school (I wasen't a good student) we need to write a article on something (don't remember what).

I simply print a wikipedia page (with all the links and menu still on), and since the page in english had more documentation I use that one... the problem I went to a french school in french class... But my teacher was so lazy and din't care about teaching us anymore that he give me 60%

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#6 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:44 AM

Not sure which is worse, your cheating or the teacher not giving you a 0. Apparently one of the professors at my university penalizes the entire class if someone is caught cheating by increasing the weight of the final exam. Needless to say, no one's cheated so far.

Edited by dargueta, 06 February 2015 - 11:44 AM.

#7 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:16 PM

Well, anybody heard of unscrupulous students asking in forums for other people to do their homework? :P

There's also the ones who pays for that, and the classic: getting a previous years' approved assignment  from someone else.

Since the invention of Copy and Paste cheating became cheap and easy. I don't think professors can always detect it, or that it could be totally avoided.

I've heard of programs that rewrites an article in a different way to bypass plagiarism detection, so... we are doomed.

#8 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:06 PM

Well, anybody heard of unscrupulous students asking in forums for other people to do their homework? :P

No, not at all...

#9 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:08 PM

What a strange concept. :o

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: funny, stories, student, school

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download