Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

The coder, the SEGFAULT, and the intringuing anniversary

segfault coder codecall user anniversary

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

There's one user post signature I consider best, and it says: "Generating SEGFAULTS since 1995."

Which brings to mind it's about to be its 20th anniversary! So I've asked him the precise date to celebrate it, lol.

So.

. Do you know who the user is?

. Do you know what a SEGFAULT is?

. Are you a fellow SEGFAULTER? (LOL)

. How should we celebrate such anniversary?

I wold love to read your thoughts about it   :)

#2 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:05 AM

- A quick google search told me this is 0xDEADBEEF (formelly known as Evan)

By the way, it's not "Generating SEGFAULTS since 1995" but "Creating SEGFAULTs since 1995."

- Of course I know what SegFault is... I did some c++ back in the day... hardest thing I ever had to debug (especially since it happend only when my software was running for more than 40hours or so)... not even sure I manage to fix it, or how I did fix it, at the end, I was just trying stuff at random and waiting a 40hours.

- See anwser above

- I would make a collage with screenshot of all my software that was generating segfault

Or maybe, creating a language that is exactly like c/c++ but automatically fix segfault error :D

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#3 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:14 AM

Reminds me of the good old days back around 1990 when I wrote an MS-Basic program to crash the OS. It had a counter that went indefinitely poking 0 in the address of the counter.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

Vaielab, I would love to see that collage, lol.

WP, oh, crashing all windows versions was so easy... Computer labs were so vulnerable back then... I remember super silly things like making an append record infinite loop with clipper to fill up the disk, then start running more processes to kill Windows swapping, and the desktop will hung up with the old sandclock (wich meant: windows working, please wait until I could process your mouse move, lol) stuck in the middle of the screen. Or directly, using turbo c++ to invoke the sacred blue screen we are now not used to see so often.

#5 jasonalien

jasonalien

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, Objective-C, C#

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:18 PM

Is it possible to make a program that plays music when a SEGFAULT occurs? And what should it play if it is possible? :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: segfault, coder, codecall, user, anniversary

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download