Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Multimedia box

multimedia computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:02 PM

Hi all.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my tv's multimedia box.

I currently have a Asus O'Play, that is still working fine, but since they stop giving updates, there is some codecs that I can't read, and I would like to have more option on my multimedia box.

For this multimedia box, I would like to install kodi (formerly known as xbmc), probably kodibuntu.

I'll continu tu use it to stream movie from my NAS (so I need samba or nts support)

And I would like to be able to play emulated games (up to the wii, with no or almost no lag)

It's very important for me, that the box is small and discreet, and does not make sound.

At the moment, I'm looking at some Intel nuc to do the job.

At work, I have a intel nuc BOXDCCP847DYE (intel celeron), for streaming and internet, it's working perfectly, but when it come to games, especially on the wii, it's really lagging, I might need a more powerfull one.

So I'm looking at other models like the BOXD34010WYK or BOXD54250WYKH1 with the main difference are the cpu and graphics card (core i3-4010U, intel hd 4400 for the first one, and core i5-4250u, intel hd 5000 for the other)

The second one is about 100$, do you think I will really see a difference?

Or the first one will be enough?

Or maybe do you have a completly other suggestion? Other model or brand?

Thank you

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#2 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:57 PM

Hi Vaielab,

I don't use mediaboxes, I have my own kind of setup :)

Since nobody answered I find this article that could be interesting for you.

#3 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:21 AM

Thank you, I'll read this article.

If I may, what is your "own kind of setup"?

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:45 AM

Well, For instance, I don't use NAS, I don't watch TV the regular way (except for football matches of my team), and I am no gamer, so my requirements are different.

I only download TV series, movies or documentaries, got them stocked in disk, deleting them once I see them.

I have a small wheeled table with sound system and a projector. So I either watch, whatever I watch on the Computer monitor, or projecting into a wall, either outside or indoors.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: multimedia, computer

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download