Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

New to programming

newbie greenhorn rookie vb adhd rightbrain programming

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TommyTenToes

TommyTenToes

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Learning:(Visual) Basic

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:52 AM

I'm new to programming in VB (and in general) and was wondering if anyone knows a good way to get better? I've already made a 'HelloWorld' program and a picture viewer program (fun, but too basic). I use visual studio 2013 express, and I've tried messing around on it with my minimal knowledge to no avail (unless you count the design part) and have been having a hard time finding the right information for me. Things are difficult since i have ADHD and learning in a "textbook" fashion does not work well for me, unless i know what I'm reading and why I'm reading it. Being new to this I don't really know what I need to be learning, and I'm too impatient to wait until my VB class next fall. Any and all responses are appreciated, even if it's just to say "Hi."

#2 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:47 PM

In that case you might try learning from youtube tutorials like this one

Maybe audio and video works better for you, also, some of the books you read have its audiobook version too.

#3 TommyTenToes

TommyTenToes

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Learning:(Visual) Basic

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

Awesome, thanks! can't believe i didn't think about youtube...that's the perfect way to go.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: newbie, greenhorn, rookie, vb, adhd, rightbrain, programming

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download