Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Windows command line. Ever heard of it?

command line commands windows

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:09 AM

I think the new generations of programers didn't met DOS, and many of them haven't used the useful command line. The one you execute at the bottom of the start menu by typing cmd<enter>

Beyond the common uses as dll registration, safe mode intruder files check, environment vars check and update,  and the classic ipconfig (/flushdns for some bad connections :P) , and netstat, or even PHP runs, there's a lot you can do from there.

I thought of making a blog about this, but I got lazy and found This list of windows CMD commands

Now, what about a little poll:

. Have you ever used cmd?

. Do you use the it regularly?

. What did/do you use it for?

#2 0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:15 PM

yes, yes, scp/copying files (its faster than pointing an clicking everything.)

however, now I tend to use gitbash . Although used to like the cygwin days as well.

Creating SEGFAULTs since 1995.

#3 Pally

Pally

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:21 PM

I can't really say too much about windows command line, I rarely use it beyond network config, ping, and only use it for compiling source code because I'm on the text editor programming side of the fence

on the other hand I like unix command lines  :D  I don't leave those too often except for the browser and a few other minor things, I even went down the vim route out of personal preference and that added a lot more of my time to the command line.

Also 4 out of 5 computers in my house are unix so I'm a bit biased.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pally

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

Cygwin! I remember that too!

Also the Ms Technet packages bring power to the command line.

Of course it's not comparable to UX shells, but you can do some damage with cmd too, lol.

I think every programer should know at least the basics about CMD, don't you think?

#5 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

Powershell is like a cmd shell on steroids (a VERY simplistic view of PowerShell).  I find myself using it much more than the command line these days.

More often, I will test a piece of programming in a simple console app, to make sure it runs without all the nonsense overhead.  So, that constitutes using the command line to some extent.

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download