Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Also, please point me in the correct direction

coding programming

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Error

Error

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:14 AM

I've been off of the forums for a good amount of time now (maybe 2 months) had a who-am-i-going-to-be-in-the-future crisis. I'm sticking to programming, I enjoy it the most, out of everything.

I wanted to develop applications for Apple phones and pads, but forgot a majority of everything. The other day I went out and pushed my self to buy a Mac mini for a programming machine and I tend to learn a lot.

I do need Objective-C (obvious) but I also need C++ right? And how much of either one, do I need to use? (More of/Less of which one) I never (besides forum) looked online for my main source of programming knowledge. But I would like to start learning online. I know I can use google, put personally, what website is best for learning what I am trying to tackle?

Thank you!

#2 Pally

Pally

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:25 AM

I've been off of the forums for a good amount of time now (maybe 2 months) had a who-am-i-going-to-be-in-the-future crisis. I'm sticking to programming, I enjoy it the most, out of everything.

I wanted to develop applications for Apple phones and pads, but forgot a majority of everything. The other day I went out and pushed my self to buy a Mac mini for a programming machine and I tend to learn a lot.

I do need Objective-C (obvious) but I also need C++ right? And how much of either one, do I need to use? (More of/Less of which one) I never (besides forum) looked online for my main source of programming knowledge. But I would like to start learning online. I know I can use google, put personally, what website is best for learning what I am trying to tackle?

Thank you!

Objective-C is the bulk of apple stuff not sure why you think you need C++?

iOS Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (4th Edition) (Big Nerd Ranch Guides) - is considered the "must read" if you really want to go the apple route
Your Friendly Neighborhood Pally

#3 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:04 AM

Pally is right, though, why are you aiming to work exclusively with apple?

I take it when you say applications you discard HTML too.

I am curious about what kind of applications do you have in mind?

#4 Error

Error

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:38 PM

I should have been a little more clear, by applications I meant like little things like, maybe a calculator type app, or an app that tells you XYZ, or helps you with XYZ, but I am also really interested in game development. That is why I mentioned C++.

If I wanted to make a simple game, then I don't really need C++ right? But if I wanted to use an engine like Unity, then I would have to then correct?

#5 Pally

Pally

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:20 AM

If I wanted to make a simple game, then I don't really need C++ right? But if I wanted to use an engine like Unity, then I would have to then correct?

You don't need C++ to use unity, you can code unity with one of following C#, javascript, Boo

I would just go Unity for making games..

when it comes to Unity it is my opinion that you cannot beat the ratio of: easiest to learn/use <-> most powerful

and.. nothing beats unity cross export to xbox,iphone,android,pc..  B)

Basically what I'm getting to is Unity is gods gift to you for making an amazing looking game as the sole developer and mind behind it.

If your goal is to one day make games for the industry and get a job as a game developer then yes learn C++ but I suggest you still go unity route first and produce a few games with it before doing game development with C++

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pally

#6 Error

Error

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:14 AM

So just a recap, I only need C# for Unity? What engine uses C++ and will I ever need to use C++ for iOS games?

Thank you!

#7 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:19 AM

C++ can be used for iOS, but it's optional. As usual, there are LOTS of options when doing programming. Eventually, you'll learn languages on an "as needed" basis rather than a "I think I'll need this" basis.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#8 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:18 PM

Well, in that case, exporting apps to different platforms, you'll need more of a framework that performs that, like Phonegap, than a programing language .

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download