Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

New programmer need advice on where to begin!

advice where to begin help programming windows

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Comatose

Comatose

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:45 AM

Hey everyone I've just recently discovered my love for programming and I'm now looking to pursue it as a career. I have no idea where to begin, currently I'm a college student completing my prerequisite calculus/science courses before I can begin taking courses to get my degree in computer science. In the mean time I want to teach myself everything I can and begin making my own projects. I began coding on CodeAcademy almost a month ago and just completed the JavaScript lesson however I now have no idea what to do. What I would love to do is begin making games/apps as fun projects for iPhones and projects along those lines. I found a book Objective - C Programming The Big Nerd Ranch Guide and I feel it's the perfect book for a beginner in the direction I'm looking to go but it requires XCode to follow along and I have windows  :( . From my research thus far I've read C/C++/Java are the languages that are best to learn when starting out. What should I do, what books should I read, what programs should I use (visual studio?), what youtube videos can I watch?

- I'm a beginner programmer with a very basic knowledge of JavaScript 

- Looking to learn game/app development

- Have no idea what differentiates all the programming languages apart

- Run Windows operating system

I'm very excited to start programming and more than ready to start reading/coding hours a day to become a great programmer. Any advice on where I couldgo from here /anything programming would be great. I'd really appreciate any help, thanks in advance!!!

#2 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:09 PM

Don't "dump java".  It has related syntax to C/C++/C# and even javascript.  They use similar C-based syntax.  Depending on how much javascript experience you have, some parts might seem very easy.  The key is to start somewhere.

There are 2 parts to programming:

The core structure - which is common among all languages, like conditional statements, etc.

Language specific features - which each language has and they are specific to that language.  These might be adopted by other languages down the road (like LinQ in C#).

You might want to figure out what you want to do.  Windows programming?  Cross platform?  Web?

Depending on what you choose, the language choice will become narrowed, and it will be easier for you to choose.

You can also simply choose to start in C/C++ and use codeblocks (FREE) and create console applications to start with and expand as your skills grow.

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#3 Private Hash

Private Hash

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:41 PM

My advice would be to think ahead. What do you want to do ?

If you want to write Android apps, knowledge of Java is a must. Java is also good for business and management apps. You can write desktop applications in Java as well.

Learning C# opens a way for you to develop Windows Phone apps, XBox games, MVC webpages and desktop applications.

If you want to focus on MVC apps and webpages, I strongly recommend Ruby + Rails framework (Ruby on Rails).

I can post a lot of good resources for each one, if you're interested...

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:42 PM

Welcome aboard!

It all depends on what kind of games do you want to code.

#5 farrell2k

farrell2k

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:29 PM

You know some Javascript and there is nothing stopping you from writing mobile games and applications in Javascript, so do that.

Averageloser.com - I used to be a programmer like you, then I took a -> in the knee. 

#6 Comatose

Comatose

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for all the advice I've gotten a lot of useful information so far. I've been researching for hours and thinking about what I would like to do personally and have decided to focus on C# . In the following years I'll be learning c++,java, etc.. in school which will be great but I feel on my own time making personal projects C# would be best for game/app development.

My advice would be to think ahead. What do you want to do ?

If you want to write Android apps, knowledge of Java is a must. Java is also good for business and management apps. You can write desktop applications in Java as well.

Learning C# opens a way for you to develop Windows Phone apps, XBox games, MVC webpages and desktop applications.

If you want to focus on MVC apps and webpages, I strongly recommend Ruby + Rails framework (Ruby on Rails).

I can post a lot of good resources for each one, if you're interested...

Private Hash if you could send me some resources to help learn C# that would be great! 

#7 Private Hash

Private Hash

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:55 AM

Private Hash if you could send me some resources to help learn C# that would be great! 

Here is a couple to start with:

http://stackoverflow...amming-consoles There's some good points on game programming here, on Stack Overflow. You will want to remember this site as well.
It will be helpful many-a-time

http://www.visualstu...express-vs.aspx You will need a good IDE. You can get Visual Studio Express for free

http://www.riemers.n...arp/series1.php if you want to programm games with C#, check out XNA library. You could check out XNA Game studio while you're at it

http://www.xbdev.net/tuts/tuts.php some X-BOX XDK tutorials. more could be found on Microsoft page. 

Best of luck!

Edited by Private Hash, 13 December 2014 - 05:56 AM.

#8 Comatose

Comatose

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:24 AM

Thanks man really appreciate it. 

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download