Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Please point me in the right direction

advice new program

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 snarble

snarble

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:35 PM

Hi all,

I have no experience but I am looking to make a program (mainly for my own amusement and use) and need to know which programming language or software you would recommend to make it.

Esentially, I want to make a program for data analysis that has rows/columns to enter my data, just like one would in excel/spss, but that also has a menu on the side so I can make a table (or tables) with the information I want (descriptive stats (mean, median, sd, etc.), correlations, etc.) for which ever variables I choose via check boxes.

So for example, I could have all of my variables check boxes clicked and the mean check box to only see the means for each variable, but then if I am interested in the median I can select that check box and the table will update to now include the median. I would just code in the math to caluclate these things if the language/software to make it didn't have a way of doing the math automatically (like I said I have no knowledge whatsoever in this kind of thing). If the program would be too hard to make that actually had the spreadsheet like area to enter in the data, I would be fine with having my data in an excel spreadsheet and the program taking the data from there.

Hopefully what I am wanting to do makes sense. Any recommendations would be very helpfully.

Thanks for your time!

#2 Blimp

Blimp

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:14 AM

Hi snarble,

Welcome to CC!

This all depends on whether you'd like to make it web based, desktop based, mobile based, or... uh... something else based! 

I think at the present time, it looks like you want to make this desktop based. As such, I'd recommend something like C# to get you started. It's a nice language, extremely beginner friendly and a very forgiving language (providing you play nicely). 

Check out the big yellow book (which isn't actually yellow, but we'll allow it on this occasion) by Rob Miles. This little beauty will teach you everything you need to know on how to program in C# both effectively and extremely efficiently. Check it out, see if you're interested, then give me a shout if you need any help :-)

http://static.square...w Book 2014.pdf

#3 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:38 AM

Welcome aboard,

Assuming you are not already a programer, and that you are looking for learning. I will go for Microsoft Access, you can do what you asked for using its forms.

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:25 AM

Most any language would work for what you're trying to do. What operating system are you on?

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download