Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

How many hours do you code a day?

programming

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jasonalien

jasonalien

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, Objective-C, C#

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:26 AM

Hello all, Hope everyone is doing great.

What I'd like to know is how many hours do you code in a day? 

I usually code 5 hours a day, 6-7 if I push myself.

Is it enough, can I code more? What is the optimal length for coding?

And how many lines of code do you code in your daily timeline?

Thanks in advance.

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:46 AM

It varies WIDELY from day to day, project to project, etc. I have days where I produce no code at all (often doing misc paperwork), and other days where I code 6-7 hours per day.

Lines of code is pretty meaningless as a metric, since different languages can express different amounts of logic in a line of code. Additionally, depending on the type of project I'm doing, I can sometimes copy hundreds of lines from an external source, do a regex search/replace, and have hundreds of lines perfectly good code.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, (Visual) Basic, Perl, Transact-SQL, Bash, Prolog, Others
  • Learning:Others

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:35 PM

I don't think about length of time really. I mean coding is solving problems; and sometimes you spend 7 hours investigating and thinking and not writing code. Then you spend 10 minutes coding.

There is a reason the term "code monkey" came into being. Just tapping away at the keyboard isn't a good metric.

Creating SEGFAULTs since 1995.

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

I think the ideal is to code as much as you need. It will be 2 hours some day, 7 some other day. It's not like a calories diet you need to keep tabs with :P

#5 JonElias

JonElias

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Programming Language:Python, JavaScript, Bash
  • Learning:C++, JavaScript, Others

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:51 PM

the time my body can take

"computers are useless they only give you answers" Pablo Picasso
And yes he was alive when the first programmable computer was made

#6 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Bash

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:52 AM

As stated in the above posts, it varies from day to day.  But when I was first learning, I was either programming, or thinking of programming most of the day.  When I wasn't programming, I was reading about program languages, and usually writing out programs on paper to type in when I got home.

When I went for my C/C++/UNIX system programming certification course, I was programming almost 18 hours a day, for 9 the entire week course.  I would be programming in class, and then solidifying whatever was taught that day at home.  I wouldn't stop until I was positive that I knew it backward and forward.  Then I would go to bed, and the cycle would start all over again.  I vividly remember when learning pointers to pointers, I had a tough time wrapping my head around it.  I got home and was fighting with the concept.  Hours passed by, and it finally clicked. It was like a light bulb going on. I finally got it.  I understood it.  Finally, I was off to bed.  Literally, when my head hit the pillow, the alarm went off to get up for class.  I pretty much programmed 32 straight hours.  Thankfully, nobody else in the class understood the Pointer-to-Pointer concept, so they did a review.  I hit the pillow as soon as I got home.

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#7 tanger32au

tanger32au

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:37 AM

Like most people it really changes day to day, I like to do a coupe of hours of a weekend and an hour or so most week nights.

With my latest project I am doing a fairly bit more than normal.

#8 Donovan

Donovan

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Learning:Java, Objective-C, PHP, JavaScript, Perl, PL/SQL, ActionScript, VBScript, Others

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:13 PM

It varies WIDELY from day to day, project to project, etc. I have days where I produce no code at all (often doing misc paperwork), and other days where I code 6-7 hours per day.

Lines of code is pretty meaningless as a metric, since different languages can express different amounts of logic in a line of code. Additionally, depending on the type of project I'm doing, I can sometimes copy hundreds of lines from an external source, do a regex search/replace, and have hundreds of lines perfectly good code.

I would have to agree with WingedPanther. I have coded for 12+ hours in a day because I was just so into it at the time... Other days a few hours if any at all.. It really depends on the situation.. However, I guess you would be referring to what we are all presently doing in our lives. In which case, I am currently programming on average 6 hours a day. I am trying to get back into the feel of web design and actually develop something on a professional level. I am currently studying HTML5, CSS3, JQuery, JavaScript, and PHP.... It's a lot to juggle. Hopefully I can do it xD

Great to be back in the field.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download