Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone not backing up?

backup code

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Barnsite

Barnsite

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, (Visual) Basic, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:37 AM

Just read a status update "Corrupt harddrive. 3 years of code gone"

I feel really sorry for the person concerned (who will remain unnamed).  However, no backups... really?

With high-speed internet, clouds, dirt cheap drives, etc I can't think of any reason to not have backups.

Anyone else not got backups of code, documents etc?  

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:58 AM

At home, I take a snapshot of my files approximately every 6 months (thank you regular Ubuntu updates for the reminder). At work, ALL code is checked into a revision control system, and all developers regularly synch from it to have the latest files, along with regular backups of that server. Any personal documents I'm concerned about are saved in my Dropbox folder, as well.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:11 AM

At work, everything is on git, the main git server is on a nas in raid 10, and once a week, I backup the nas on a external hard drive

At home, I have a smaller nas, raid 1 and raid 5, and all my stuff is on there, I only backup on a usb key the more important stuff (stuff like music and movie, I don't really care)

I'm working on debian (both on work and home), and I saved my history from my first install and made a script from it

So now, if my computer crash, in 3 command line, I can reinstall everything I had just like before.

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:15 AM

Just read a status update "Corrupt harddrive. 3 years of code gone"

What an awful way to learn a lesson! It's also strange that having coder friends nobody ever made a point about the importance of backing your stuff up.

Could you name the damages?

#5 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Bash

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:22 AM

If you're beginning programming, what did you really lose?  A bunch of calculators, demo programs, etc.?  I look at things I wrote 6 months ago, and I'm embarrassed to find that I actually wrote it.

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#6 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:30 PM

What's bad is when you look at something you were proud of when you wrote it 10 years ago, and realize how utterly, utterly horrible it really was.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#7 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:26 PM

I don't think it matter.

You did this awefull software 10 years ago with so much less knowledge, and it worked

You should always be proud of your past experiences, even if by today's standard, it's a shame.

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#8 Barnsite

Barnsite

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, (Visual) Basic, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:35 PM

I get what you guys are saying regarding old code, etc.  But if you don't want it delete it.  

I'm amazed by the number of PC's that I fix for people and their whole world is on there, photo's, contacts, documents, etc and when I ask if they have any backups they don't.  And to be honest most probably still don't other than the backups I make when I fix them.

I've only had one instance where I couldn't recover the data for someone and they were devastated as they had documents on there that they needed for a court case.

I am super paranoid about my data which is backed up in more places than I care to name.

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

#9 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Bash

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:22 AM

I used to be that way about my data.  I had a USB hard drive dock, and I would have backups on 3 separate hard disks.  No 2 were ever connected at the same time.  For personal stuff, like photos, I would burn them onto DVDs.  I was so paranoid that my data would be lost to a random power spike, and I was sure I was covered.  I was indeed covered from a power spike, but when Hurricane Sandy hit and we got hit with a 25ft Tsunami.  The salt water killed all electronics within seconds.  It's amazing how fast electronics rust from salt water.  I lost all my drives, but the DVDs survived.  

I also learned another lesson with photos.  I would save EVERY photo that I took.  After sorting through them, I realized that I could delete about 50-60% of them.  About 40-50% were good shots, the others were deleted.  I now go through any new photos several times to see if they are any good, and delete the ones that aren't.  I am now very selective of what photos I keep.

Going through the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, I came across old ZIP Disks filled with some of my old CLIPPER code, including the source for a library I used to sell.  I realized that I haven't used CLIPPER in well over 15 years, and probably nobody else has either.  So, saving old code like this is tantamount to hording :)  If I really needed it, I could probably find one old user that has it on a torrent.  Is it illegal to download a copy of your own software? :)

I am now very selective of anything that I keep.  I routinely go through my backup disks and delete stuff I no longer use.

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#10 tanger32au

tanger32au

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:09 PM

Backups are vital....

I code on my netbook, my important files are backed up to a USB key daily which I keep on me at all times. I also backup all my files to a USB hard drive which lives in my backpack and I also backup that hard drive to another hard drive which lives in my office at work.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download