Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Securing a program to a PC

just basic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 tanger32au

tanger32au

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:33 PM

Hi,

For the past 2.5 years I have been working on and off on a project to develop a full feature text based game, this is being developed in Just Basic. Progress has been slow but steady, with me fitting this in around work and other parts of my life.

Recently I have been able to devote more time to this project, the result being that I am making good progress and now have a playable game. I still have a lot of features to add / change and the code needs some cleaning up.

My long term plan is to release this game as a free download and allow others to download and play it.
At the moment the game is fully self contained in a single folder, this means that it can be moved between computers. What I would like to do is in some way secure it to a single PC once it is installed, I have done some research and have come up with two possible methods which are possible using Just Basic.

- Write a file to a different folder location and program my game to look for this file.
- Read some system values, such as username, PC name, technical details on the CPU and use these to lock the game to that computer only.

Has anybody tried to do something like this and have any feedback / suggestions on the best way to approach it?

Paul

#2 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:38 PM

Either can work, just expect anything of this sort to be more of a deterrent than anything - but interest in cracking is usually proportional to hype, so it may remains safe until you've reached the big shelves.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#3 tanger32au

tanger32au

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:18 AM

Thanks, My current games does not really " need it"  per say at the moment but with some of the ideas I have it would be nice to be able to add it.

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:54 AM

Both of your proposed solutions are fairly easy to detect and circumvent with tools in SysinternalsSuite. They would probably stop someone who doesn't know what they're doing from copying it, but a determined person would be able to circumvent it AND post the process online.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#5 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:23 AM

I agree both are doable, but... why not make it a web game, ASP is pretty much basic. You could host your game in a server, and make a web page for playing instead of a console screen.