Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Kiosk computer

kiosk computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:21 PM

Hello,

Next month, I'll have a big symposium and my compagny will have our own kiosk.

On this kiosk, we will have 2 x 55" tv, and we'll show our product (a website with a lots of javascript).

While not buying a big computer, what kind of computer would you suggest me?

I tried a raspberry pi but sadly, the website was lagging :(

Do you know some sort of computer, that we can easily transport / hide, with a hdmi port, not too pricy and that can run heavy website?

Thank you

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#2 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:38 AM

Hello Vai,

Out of experience I tell you Demos are not about showing all of your product the way it is, or at the speed it runs.

It would be good if you could entertain your prospect clients along the showing, which is exactly that: "showing".

You should script what you will be showing of, then make specific pages for such purpose, speeding them up. How? for example your form loads a lot of complicated data because it's good and has many variables, but that maybe cost heavy resources comsuption somewhere, call it database, data transfer, asynchronous queries, whatever. In that case, make "demo shortcuts" (next thing to hardcoding :P) and script your show to work with that set of flashy data.

Also, is important how you speak, and if you could make some joke (common people joker rather than IT joke) while working the controls and the crowd, and if you also, present real cases analogies with that (real cases pertinent to your audience) and offer some insight on future features you are working on (even if you aren't) . That gives prospect client sense of continuity, and that they are part of a developing the future experience.

The app itself? Do you like to watch a twenty minutes slideshows on the board's meeting? Do you like sales speeches? Neither does your clients ;)

Go get them tiger.

#3 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:38 AM

As for computers, if you cannot repurpose something you find, a "thin client" or thin pc might be what you are looking for, however I don't know if they're used in these situations.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#4 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:17 AM

Hello

Thanks for the reply. Sadly, I cannot program a "lite" version, since we have a small kiosk, and people will come and go, and ask to see some specifics portions of the application.

On the raspberry pi, every single page took something like 10seconds to load. If a client see this, he will think that it's like that all the time.

I'm gonna start looking for a small normal pc that I'll hide somewhere under the screen.

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kiosk, computer

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download