Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Your opinion about CodinGame

programming game contest php python c++ c# java job c

Best Answer Alexander, 01 October 2014 - 02:22 AM

I have to admit, I am instantly addicted to this. It's like LOGO for adults :)

Alexander.

PS: Only thing I see wrong so far is the a typo on the Skynet set:

"Our ingeneers have integrated into the virus an SSH tunnel protocol[...]"

I'll be sure to review it after a playthrough.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AndraMartin

AndraMartin

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

Hi there!

I'm Maria and I'm part of the CodinGame team. For those who are not familiar with our concept, we are a video games platform for programming fans. Players can solve our solo games available in the platform as well as join our multiplayer AI Battles once a month.

We have recently launched our new platform which includes features such as a full IDE, 20+ programming languages, game visuals, auto-completion,etc.

We are now trying to improve it and we are looking for feedback from the community to make it much more fun for everyone, so if you know the platform and are interested in giving us your opinion and ways of improvements, you are more than welcome to comment :)

Thank you very much!

Maria

#2 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:22 AM   Best Answer

Alexander.

"Our ingeneers have integrated into the virus an SSH tunnel protocol[...]"

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#3 wim DC

wim DC

Roar

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2681 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, JavaScript, PL/SQL
  • Learning:Python

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:45 AM

Lol 3 of us at work spent our entire lunchbreak on this xD Very fun indeed. Definitely the ones with the movie-style running of the code.

A few quick things we noticed:

- achievements are not always displayed after submitting the code, even though we gotten them on our profile.

- the 0-100% progress to DONE on the http://www.codingame.com/puzzles page is not immediately set to 100% after fully completing the puzzle (it gets to 100 in a minute or so)

I assume it's intended as some backend stuff is running, but it was a bit confusing at first as to why it was not saying 100% done.

- We might be blind but it took us a while to discover the fact you can scroll down in the "game" part of the screen to read the puzzle description. As the first puzzles have that video / animation display which fits nicely in the box, we didn't realise more was under it.

- I can't find the details of my submitted run. Like how much time did my original submission took for the first puzzle on easy? Also to see the code you submitted. 

Edited by wim DC, 01 October 2014 - 04:52 AM.

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:21 AM

Okay, I am DEFINITELY going to be abusing my poor brain on this later. I solved the first puzzle, but after watching the runs I'm far from happy with my solution.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#5 DatRoyce

DatRoyce

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Others
  • Learning:C++

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:36 PM

Wow! I am impressed!!
Please make an iOS app! All these awesome coding websites and not one is mobile!!

#6 wim DC

wim DC

Roar

• Expert Member
  • 2681 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, JavaScript, PL/SQL
  • Learning:Python

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:59 PM

Who the ** codes on his mobile o.O

#7 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:57 AM

Okay, at work I have a HUGE monitor (2560x1440) attached to a shiny new MacBook, and everything looks gorgeous. At home, I have a 13" laptop that's about 5 years old. At home, I found I suddenly had tons of scrollbars, the text editing space felt very cramped, and the graphics as the game played were nonexistent. The only way to know what had happened on the games was to step through the replay and try to get a sense of what was going on.

The competitions really don't feel "kind" to smaller screens that people may use for R&R computing (and yes, these types of puzzles are my idea of relaxing :) )

Edited by WingedPanther, 02 October 2014 - 04:57 AM.

#8 AndraMartin

AndraMartin

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:40 AM

Alexander.

Haha LEGO for adults, it sounds really nice! We definitely have to change this "ingenieers" mistake, thank you very much for pointing this out (...it's Frenglish Style... :) )

Lol 3 of us at work spent our entire lunchbreak on this xD Very fun indeed. Definitely the ones with the movie-style running of the code.

A few quick things we noticed:

- achievements are not always displayed after submitting the code, even though we gotten them on our profile.

- the 0-100% progress to DONE on the http://www.codingame.com/puzzles page is not immediately set to 100% after fully completing the puzzle (it gets to 100 in a minute or so)

I assume it's intended as some backend stuff is running, but it was a bit confusing at first as to why it was not saying 100% done.

- We might be blind but it took us a while to discover the fact you can scroll down in the "game" part of the screen to read the puzzle description. As the first puzzles have that video / animation display which fits nicely in the box, we didn't realise more was under it.

- I can't find the details of my submitted run. Like how much time did my original submission took for the first puzzle on easy? Also to see the code you submitted. 

Thanks a lot for your feedback, I'm really happy you like it :) Here are some insights:

-Achievements and progress: We are still working on the presentation of the results and achievements. We will be adding new features in the upcoming weeks and achievements will be more visible and easy to share.

-For the scroll down: I hadn't noticed it before, but you're right that it's not totally intuitive when you first arrive in the platform. We will make sure it is more visible.

-Submitted run: This is also something that the team is working on. Till now, we don't show the submit details (starting time, time it took you to solve, etc). As far as the submitted code is concerned, you can find it when going back to the puzzle IDE (which is not optimal) so we be improving this in the next months (possibility to save a specific code, possibility to chose the more efficient one, etc).

I hope this answers to your question :)

Wow! I am impressed!!
Please make an iOS app! All these awesome coding websites and not one is mobile!!

Thank you very much! :) We will be making some adjustments to the mobile version, it won't be the optimal device to program, from now, but we are planning to make it more responsive :)

Okay, at work I have a HUGE monitor (2560x1440) attached to a shiny new MacBook, and everything looks gorgeous. At home, I have a 13" laptop that's about 5 years old. At home, I found I suddenly had tons of scrollbars, the text editing space felt very cramped, and the graphics as the game played were nonexistent. The only way to know what had happened on the games was to step through the replay and try to get a sense of what was going on.

The competitions really don't feel "kind" to smaller screens that people may use for R&R computing (and yes, these types of puzzles are my idea of relaxing :) )

It's really interesting, I'm not sure we have noticed it yet... could you provide me more information about your laptop, so we tests it internally?

Edited by AndraMartin, 02 October 2014 - 09:44 AM.

#9 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:46 AM

Alexander was referring to Logo, not Lego: https://logo.codeplex.com/

As for my laptop at home, I'm not in front of it right now, but 1366 x 768 is a pretty typical resolution for smaller laptops. My wife uses an 11 inch laptop that's probably worse than that.

#10 AndraMartin

AndraMartin

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:47 PM

Oh haha my bad, I hadn't heard about this one... 

Ok, I was wondering which OS you were running on and from which navigator, just to see if there is adjustments to make, mostly for the graphics.

Edited by AndraMartin, 02 October 2014 - 12:47 PM.

#11 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:46 PM

Hey! This is new and fun!

#12 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:58 PM

I just confirmed my home laptop is 1366x768 resolution.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: programming, game, contest, php, python, c++, c#, java, job, c

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download