Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

I am getting a new MacBook | Need ways to get money at 14!

mac

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LunarOfficial

LunarOfficial

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++
  • Learning:JavaScript, Ruby

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:34 AM

I am saving up for a MacBook pro. I need to ear about 3700 dollars to purchase the one that I wish to purchase. Is there anything from jobs or fundraisers I can do  ( Do not say chores for money, my parents already have me do chores for free )? Thanks!

#2 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Bash

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:36 AM

Chores for money  :D  (had to be done).

Why not do some kind of service for other people, like shoveling snow, cutting their lawns , etc.?  I used to make a boat load of money when the snows came around.

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#3 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:22 PM

In some countries, or with some employers, you may be able to find a job where you have a limited amount of hours and can gain some valuable experience while you are at it (I had a job when I was 15 few a few months to buy something flashy and learn the ropes.)

Obligitory comment: If you cannot afford something such as a $3000 laptop, it is probably unadvisable, especially as you are young, to purchase something such as it. There are many laptops suitable for light gaming (Macs are not gaming computers), absolutely suitable for course work or internet or video editing for well under $1k. Laptops are mainly for portability, and having any high performance hardware on one while maintaining a decent battery life is difficult and expensive.

Ask yourself an adult question, do you really need it? or just really want it?

Alexander.

Edited by Alexander, 26 September 2014 - 06:24 PM.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:33 PM

Okay, summing up:

In regards of getting money could you tell us:

. Where are you from?

. What can you actually do? From gardening, handing fliers over, to programing everything counts

. What do you need the computer for? I mean specifically, it needs to be that model because of?

#5 LunarOfficial

LunarOfficial

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:02 AM

Okay, summing up:

In regards of getting money could you tell us:

. Where are you from?

. What can you actually do? From gardening, handing fliers over, to programing everything counts

. What do you need the computer for? I mean specifically, it needs to be that model because of?

I am from Michigan in the US. The minimum wage here if you are suggesting jobs is 7.25

Second Question is not that answerable speaking that is the reason I posted this topic.

Third question is the reason I want that computer is because my dad had given me a PC 3 years ago and just a year of more I got into programming and this computer is not so efficient on the development size and my storage is low. Not just that but the performance is always a nice thing to have at hand, especially that I am getting more into computer programming. The truth is you can be patient an wait for great pleasure, or you can get yourself instant pleasure which only lasts for so long.

#6 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:13 AM

Okay, at 14 in the US, there's a HUGE limit on what employment you can get. Most jobs won't touch you, and Michigan's job market is pretty bad in several areas (especially Detroit).

Now for the good news: you CAN mow yards, shovel snow, etc. In addition, since you do HAVE a computer, you can bit on programming projects at various websites.

Now, with that said, I can say two things with certainty.

1) A $3700 MacBook Pro is a SWEET machine.

2) You don't need it. You can get a very nice one that is perfectly good for coding for a third the price: http://www.amazon.co...ook pro,aps,235

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#7 LunarOfficial

LunarOfficial

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:44 PM

I came back to read this and I sound so cocky lol. Its not even real. Man. Apologies. I have learned a lot since that post.. LISTEN TO THE ADULTS

#8 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:02 PM

No worries. We all have to humble up now and then, even someone as great as I am :D

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#9 nancy

nancy

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Programming Language:JavaScript, VBScript
  • Learning:C#, PHP

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:09 PM

Why Macbbok? I think you should update your PC. Buy new RAM and Harddisks.....Are you into ios development?

#10 charlesdavis

charlesdavis

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, PL/SQL, Visual Basic .NET
  • Learning:Assembly, Fortran, Prolog

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:08 PM

You are thinking about to purchase Mac book, it is appreciable but you are havin money problem so I don't think it is your good decision at this age...please purchase less amount device and start your work and earn more money then you can fullfill your dream...All the best

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mac

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download