Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Permissions

permission computer linux ubuntu

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#25 FacetiousTurtle33

FacetiousTurtle33

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:48 PM

How to enable the hidden administrator account: http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

I didn't have it enabled but I do now. What is your suggestion?

Are you connected via Ethernet cable or wifi? If wifi, is it your wifi? (you may already have disclosed this, if so my apologies)

Well, it's a wireless internet, but I have it hooked up to Ethernet. And by my wifi, it is my families. We all use it. 

#26 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:23 PM

Try installing it while logged into the hidden administrator account. And definitely change the hidden administrator account's password to something difficult. If someone gets in they can do literally anything they want.

Edited by dargueta, 05 October 2014 - 07:23 PM.

sudo rm -rf / && echo $'Sanitize your inputs!'

#27 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:47 AM

When a system gets "hosed" to a point where nothing seems to work right, the best solution is to do a clean install.  It takes a couple of hours and all of your problems will probably go away (as long as it is your machine).

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#28 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:16 AM

When a system gets "hosed" to a point where nothing seems to work right, the best solution is to do a clean install.

Dude, I think that's overkill for something like this. Restoring the system to how it used to be - settings and programs, etc. -  would be an incredible hassle.

#29 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

If you are spending a lot of time trying to fix an issue, there may be underlying issues that you haven't seen yet.   This happens when people use registry cleaners, etc., and they remove certain (necessary) settings.  The whole re-install will take a couple of hours, and you will not only fix your problem, but you will eliminate a bunch of junk around your system.  You will feel like you have a new machine.  You will have a noticeable speed increase.

The biggest amount of time will be Windows Update, but that could be done overnight, while you're asleep.  Back up your data (My documents, downloads, etc.) to another hard drive (usb or internal) and you're good to go.

The choice is to definitely fix the problem in less than a day, or continue to live with this headache until someone figures it out for you.  You may find that this topic could go on for weeks as people throw random fixes at the target, hoping to fix the issue.

If he's already an admin, the odds are something is hosed.  One way to find out is to create another admin account.  If that one works as it should, use that one.  If not, zap the machine and do a clean install.

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#30 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:33 AM

One way to find out is to create another admin account.  If that one works as it should, use that one.  If not, zap the machine and do a clean install.

Hence my suggestion to enable the hidden "super administrator" account.

#31 FacetiousTurtle33

FacetiousTurtle33

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:49 PM

If you are spending a lot of time trying to fix an issue, there may be underlying issues that you haven't seen yet.   This happens when people use registry cleaners, etc., and they remove certain (necessary) settings.  The whole re-install will take a couple of hours, and you will not only fix your problem, but you will eliminate a bunch of junk around your system.  You will feel like you have a new machine.  You will have a noticeable speed increase.

The biggest amount of time will be Windows Update, but that could be done overnight, while you're asleep.  Back up your data (My documents, downloads, etc.) to another hard drive (usb or internal) and you're good to go.

The choice is to definitely fix the problem in less than a day, or continue to live with this headache until someone figures it out for you.  You may find that this topic could go on for weeks as people throw random fixes at the target, hoping to fix the issue.

If he's already an admin, the odds are something is hosed.  One way to find out is to create another admin account.  If that one works as it should, use that one.  If not, zap the machine and do a clean install.

Hence my suggestion to enable the hidden "super administrator" account.

I have tried both of these.Not the system restore, but the admin account.  In fact, every other user account works. Except the one I'm on right now. I was thinking of switching to my Admin account. And of course, putting a password on it. 

Edited by FacetiousTurtle33, 11 October 2014 - 01:49 PM.

#32 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:01 PM

I ended up doing that with my Windows partition. I just switched over to the hidden admin account, hid my original user, then transferred all my stuff over.

#33 FacetiousTurtle33

FacetiousTurtle33

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:06 PM

I ended up doing that with my Windows partition. I just switched over to the hidden admin account, hid my original user, then transferred all my stuff over.

Instead of dragging this post on, I just deleted that bugged user, put a password on my Admin, and I am currently using a different working user. I appreciate your help, and the others! I am sorry this dragged on for so long. I honestly don't know what it was. Probably something I installed, since I do have a tendency to install malicious software do to certain things I am doing. But no need to worry about this post anymore! All's well that ends well. =) 

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download