Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Feedback request for website in early stadium

php javascript google maps html & css design database social media

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Overkill

Overkill

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

Good day,

Since May 2014 I have been working on a small project for myself; a simple website that provides information. I have been working on it alone, in my free hours (studying and working) so progress is quite slow, but I enjoy working on it!

Some background info:

I once made a social media crawler for my study (PHP), this crawler searched Facebook pages and saved data in a MySQL database, simple enough. After the project finished I continued developing the crawler and made it collect data from Facebook-pages of companies that meet some criteria. I made it search for bars, café's and clubs in certain towns. I made it so I got a list of clubs in the city I study in, though the results at first were pretty bad cause I am only interested in certain kind of clubs (no golf clubs for example) I kept working on it, kept making better algorithms (read:giant if-else statements) and after a while it was working like a charm. It was for personal use but the results were pretty good, so I did the only logical thing and just went ahead and collected all the clubs in the Netherlands... 

I got a nice Google map widget and threw all the data on it, great success!

Now there is an early version of the site live, but before I hurt your eyes with my design I'd like to tell some more about it.

Current stadium:

At the moment it isn't very user friendly, there are some menu-links not working (work in progress), and the design only works on 1980x1080 correctly (more about that later). Website design isn't my best quality, though I enjoy doing it. The biggest problem is that I got way more data to display then the Google widget can handle, so I made a dropdown menu to divide all the clubs to the corresponding province. The problem with this is the dropdown menu is very small and it gets kinda confusing, but I'm working on this problem.

Future:

I'm thinking about implementing Semantic UI, is there anyone who has any experience with it? This should save me the work of making the site with other resolutions, should have used a framework from the start..

I'm planning on adding events, like music festivals to the other links, thought this brings a lot of crawler tweaking, so gonna finish this first.

I'm gonna try to make it social-media a big aspect, example: random 17 year old girl who thinks she is rad because she goes every Friday and Saturday night to some club in Amsterdam finally can share her "coolness" on Facebook. If they still use Facebook when the site is finished... At the moment social media things aren't working yet.

It would be nice to get some small ad revenue from the site, for hosting costs (and my planned villa in Greece).

Progress goes pretty slow cause I got lots of things beside this but I am curious for feedback and tips!

Links:

The website is Dutch by the way, would have preferred English but the Facebook data is mostly Dutch. Don't think it would be a (big) problem while using the site though.

Finally, the site!

Some example pages:

http://clubhunt.nl/club.php?ID=515

http://clubhunt.nl/club.php?ID=1231

http://clubhunt.nl/c...der=pop&page=90

Thanks for reading, and if you wonder how I did something or got any questions feel free to ask!

#2 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

OK,

One thing, I am not in netherlands, and it still show me clubs in there, so I assume you are not taking user's location as the "world-centre" are you?

I think you should manage the map, in a way that it starts in the user's location, pointing to the clubs in the nearby, let's say 30 kilometers, then of course, expand if the user wants to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: php, javascript, google maps, html & css, design, database, social media

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download