Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Private message vs rank

private message

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:08 AM

How many time did you received a private message from a user with no post, or very little post asking you for private help because he didn't want to post code online.

Normally I tell them that for private help, is just like work, so I need to get paid (in advance), or they can ask the question on the forum like everyone else.

Most of them just end the conversation there, but sometime, I get reply about the fact that is my DUTY to help someone, and I'm cheap not to do so, and I should feel ashamed to ask money for private help.

But the worst case is when they come back, again and again without understanding that I won't help them.

So I was thinking, could we limit / forbid user with no post or very little post to sending private message?

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#2 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:25 AM

How many time did you received a private message from a user with no post, or very little post asking you for private help because he didn't want to post code online.

Normally I tell them that for private help, is just like work, so I need to get paid (in advance), or they can ask the question on the forum like everyone else.

Most of them just end the conversation there, but sometime, I get reply about the fact that is my DUTY to help someone, and I'm cheap not to do so, and I should feel ashamed to ask money for private help.

But the worst case is when they come back, again and again without understanding that I won't help them.

So I was thinking, could we limit / forbid user with no post or very little post to sending private message?

I'll pass on the suggestion to Roger, but you can prevent them from talking to you by blocking them if they persist on messaging you.

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#3 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

I've had the same experience a while back, and that "bad taste" led me to answer questions less frequently.  Before that instance (actually those (many) instances), I would answer every question I could.  But since that experience, I got jaded, and respond to a few questions.  It's sad, and I should be able to shake it off, but there are so many younger people that EXPECT you to do everything for them.  They either are lazy or lack the ability to figure things out for themselves.  In either case, there is no reason to become beligerent when someone won't stop their lives, and devote their time to your learning exclusively.  

We all have lives and jobs outside this forum.   We help people and share knowledge because we feel good helping people.  But since those situations, I only help the people that I feel genuinely give it their all, and want to succeed.  They do not want to be hand fed the answers, they just want to be pointed in the right direction, when they stray off the correct path.

I know I'm jaded, but there are only so many times you can give what knowledge you have and get grief in return.

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

It's happened a lot. I just refuse to answer questions in private message. If they cannot ask their questions in a forum, then they're in the wrong place. Of course, a lot of the private chatrooms on IRC are even less friendly to people who don't put in the up-front effort.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#5 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

Good point, Vaielab. I had set new members at 5 PMs per day, which prevents spammers from spamming. Didn't think about the PMs for answers all the time.

I went in the system and disabled PMs for new members (ground "Just Joined"). They'll have to post at least 3 posts before PM is enabled. If that setting is still insufficient, let me know and I'll see if I'll exclude more members from PM (up to group "New Members").

New around here? Click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

Or do a quick search and you may find the answer you're looking for.

#6 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

Good point, Vaielab. I had set new members at 5 PMs per day, which prevents spammers from spamming. Didn't think about the PMs for answers all the time.

I went in the system and disabled PMs for new members (ground "Just Joined"). They'll have to post at least 3 posts before PM is enabled. If that setting is still insufficient, let me know and I'll see if I'll exclude more members from PM (up to group "New Members").

The man beat me to it before I could even message him about it :P

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#7 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

Alright thx Roger

I think the "Just Joined" group will be enough (at least, I hope :P )

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#8 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

Sounds good!

New around here? Click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#9 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

Good idea, I usually either ignore the messages, or encourage the user to post that question in the forum (which usually works)

Some users are just shy, like one I am about to answer right now.

But yeah, bottom line, death to spammers!

#10 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:52 PM

So I'm trying to PM a new user who posted an ad for his company's site in the C/C++ forum. I moved it to the marketplace and would like to tell him why, but I can't because he can't PM...

sudo rm -rf / && echo $'Sanitize your inputs!'

#11 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:18 PM

Can you give him a warning and have the message in the warning?

#12 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

*facepalm*

Forgot we can do non-punitive warnings. Haven't done it in forever.

sudo rm -rf / && echo $'Sanitize your inputs!'

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download