Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

I get too stressed while I'm coding.

coding stress

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jasonalien

jasonalien

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, Objective-C, C#

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

Hello all!

I have a problem. While I'm coding I'm becoming too stressed.

Especially when I get errors.. I feel like apocalypse has just started when I get a compile-time error..

I get panicked very easily when I face errors..

This situation prevents me from working effectively.. I just can't keep calm and code..  

Is it a normal thing? Does that happen to you too?

Is it because I'm not experienced enough and it will go away when I get more experienced?

Can you give me any tips about it? Should I see a doctor or something about it?

Thanks..

#2 0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, (Visual) Basic, Perl, Transact-SQL, Bash, Prolog, Others
  • Learning:Others

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

its probably just a sign of inexperience. It'll probably go away with time.

Creating SEGFAULTs since 1995.

#3 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

Experience will definitely help, but the question is: Do you feel that way ALWAYS? or only on your job? I mean, if you get freacked out of an error while coding home for yourself, that would be a problem, but if it is only a office thing it might be due other environmental factors, like there being the ghost of being fired around, or your bosses not being easy to understand or get along for you, or your teammates being ** good and you feeling ashamed of that, etc.

#4 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Others
  • Learning:Assembly, Others

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

I have a mindset that when get an error, I am about to learn something...because you cannot learn without making mistakes; it is impossible. If you do not make mistakes, you are simply memorizing.

So when you get an error remember that there are only two possible outcomes:

1. You'll sort it out, and either remember previous things you've already learned, or learn something new in the process.
  2. You'll use your resources (like CodeCall) and sort it out, and either remember previous things you've already learned, or learn something new in the process.

Either way, you'll get it sorted out!

Besides that, do you have any problems with anxiety? There are medications that will help you with that, and may relieve the stress you feel, but I wouldn't recommend them unless you really have issues with actual anxiety in your life, and not just stressing about code errors.

FACEB00K Likes this.

#5 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Assembly

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:38 PM

Eventually you may find errors go from being show-stoppers, to being subtle issues you can change and work around without much issue and stress will go down. There will always be errors, and they are as well an essential part of the learning practise, but depending on the context (job or a project you really wanted to work) things will always become stressful if you enter them in the right conditions. Feel free to step back, learn some more basics and try again when you have a better grip.

Learning stress management for this specific trigger can be a beneficial thing too as coding isn't a completely unique task humans do. I know I tend to just stop what I am doing, go do something else and I tend to find the problem with fresh eyes. Sometimes there are off days and some days I am ready to go through any problems that arise. I just sit. think, read the error, and see what I can do to get it up and running properly and not make the mistake in the future.

Alexander.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#6 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:10 AM

I ALWAYS get compiler errors right out of the gate. ALWAYS. It's just part of being a programmer. Since I switch between languages a lot, and do most of my coding in jEdit, I'm guaranteed to have typos, misremember method names, etc, etc, etc. It's just part of the process.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#7 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:45 AM

Nobody program like they do in movies.

It's almost impossible to program 1000lines of codes and everything works the first time...

Actually, a programmer job is 90% errors (There is no study about this, just a number I invented... but maybe I did an error there ;) )

But that why programmer invented united tests, and other kinds of tests.

We do what we think will work, make a lots of tests, do a beta version, and if everything work, publish our works.

But even with that, there will always be errors, big compagny like Microsoft and apple who have people with a lots of experience still publish bugged software... and they make you pay for thoses bugged software :P

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#8 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

In order to fight an enemy, you need to know it well enough as to develop a proper strategy to defeat it. In that regards I researched a little bit about the subject and now bring you a couple of articles about it.

8 Ways for a programmer to stay sane ( Hey! I just found out was doing great :P, call it common sense)

Syndromes that drive coders crazy

#9 jasonalien

jasonalien

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, Objective-C, C#

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

Thanks guys for all replies and tips. They are really helpful :)

#10 DatRoyce

DatRoyce

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Others
  • Learning:C++

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:21 PM

In order to fight an enemy, you need to know it well enough as to develop a proper strategy to defeat it. In that regards I researched a little bit about the subject and now bring you a couple of articles about it.

8 Ways for a programmer to stay sane ( Hey! I just found out was doing great :P, call it common sense)

Syndromes that drive coders crazy

That was a pretty good article :P

#11 Poe

Poe

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, JavaScript, PL/SQL, ActionScript, Bash, Others
  • Learning:C, Python, Assembly

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:36 PM

I understand this completely.  I do have anxiety problems and although I love solving errors after about 3 hours of seeing errors, fixing 10 just to get 5 more I too go crazy (i've broken monitors :( )  However, Klonopin is good for that as I believe that is an anxiety issue and not a coding issue (i've been a coder my whole life, its what i'm good at.)

The best thing to do if you find yourself that aggravated is to stop.

Go on a walk, think about the problem without trying to fix it.  What causes it?

I find I near immediately begin to find the answers to a couple, and when i'm done with my walk/shower/whatever i'll read up on similar errors and only when I feel I can really tackle it do I come back.

Of course that is while learning, I have been a PHP guy for 10 years now so when it comes to that I know how to solve whatever error comes at me.  Write now I am learning C and the amount of errors sometimes makes me put my computer down and literally say F that, only to begin to understand what I was doing wrong as soon as I stop trying to fix it and wonder why it was broken in the first place.

But i'm a really, really weird dude...

"Portability is for those who can't write new programs" - Linus Torvalds

#12 livingenzyme

livingenzyme

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:41 PM

This is exactly the reason why I became a structure engineer rather than a software engineer.  I still program and develop apps to make extra cash on the side.  And I've done some work that I'm very proud of.  But by golly, I would go absolutely insane if programming is my profession.

For example, one of my latest main projects is Modern Word Processor that's published in windows store.  I just uploaded a major update.  I worked on this update for the last 3 weeks, and trust me I banged my head on a brick wall many times to get my code working without issues.  This was a personal venture, and I pulled out half my hair to make the software functional.  If this was a professional venture, I'd hung myself long ago.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download