Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Hackintosh?

hackintosh

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Error

Error

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

Has anyone here heard of a "Hackintosh?" I was doing research on a programming machine, I was fairly interested in the Mac Mini, but then I seen a suggestion about a Hackintosh. They were saying, for about the same price as a Mini, you could have a built computer (which I know how to do and have done) running the latest Apple OS X Mavericks that will be able to compete with a Mac Pro. If this is true, I think I will go that route. It does appear to sound too good to be true, but who knows. If anyone is or knows anyone that has a Hackintosh, then my question is to you. How good is it? Is there anyone difference? Lag, errors, crashes, etc?

I appreciate any future responses, for I am very intrigued.

Thanks,

-Error

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:29 AM

I haven't used one, but the basic idea is to trick the OS into thinking it's on legitimate Mac hardware, and go from there. Back when I heard about it, there were pretty strict hardware requirements to pull it off.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:42 AM

I did once made my pc into a Hackintosh

It did work well, didn't had a lots of problem (it needed a lots of configuration, and a lots of frustration), but I did it simply for the fun of it, so once done, I format it and reinstall debian on it.

Theses day, I have a mac inside a virtual machine, and it's working "fine" I have some problem with accent key with my french keyboard (configured as english in the host, and and an french mac keyboard in virtualmachine), but if I have to work a lots a simply plug a real mac keyboard and it's working fine

But one thing sure... you are going to need a lots of patience to create your Hackintosh!

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

base in this line: running the latest Apple OS X Mavericks that will be able to compete with a Mac Pro.

I would say no. If what you want is to run Mac OS, you will, and that will work fine, but if what you want is for it to run as fast as smooth as it does on its own hardware.. then I will say no.

#5 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

@BlackRabbit

Actually, if you manage to correctly configure the drivers and everything, a hackintosh can beat a real mac at lower cost (sometime almost half the price)

There is a lots of article about this http://www.cultofmac...210/hackintosh/

#6 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

Oh, custom hardware! I missed that! :D

I was just thinking about installing that in your regular desktop. Still, I remember the times where the difference of mac was in the hardware with dedicated O.S . . . everything changes...

#7 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

From the day mac decided to switch from powerPc to intel processor, everything changed

#8 hampustagerud

hampustagerud

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

I was running OSX 10.5 on my Sony laptop a few years ago. While the performance was pretty good, there was a lot of work getting some drivers to work and so on. I´m sure that the support has been improved a lot over the years though!

Note though that it is not permitted by Apple to run their operating systems on any non-apple hardware but there is no way they'll detect it that I know of, I´ve heard of several people that submitted apps to AppStore from an hackintosh :)

#9 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:44 PM

I remember way back (7 years ago?) I installed a Mac OS Snow Leopard maybe was it, on my PC. It was just an interesting experience, but I had no luck finding drivers for my internet chipset but friends thought it was impressive. It was noticeably laggy and hacky to get working under a bootloader at the time.

With MacBuntu and Mint and similar, there is no reason not to transition over to Linux however at that point to get the extra mile regarding community support and that Unix taste Mach leaves you with.

Alexander.

Edited by Alexander, 15 August 2014 - 11:46 PM.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download