Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

From hdd to ssd

ssd clone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

Hello,

So at work, I'm currently (slowly) upgrading all the computer from hdd to ssd.

Most of the time, I completly format the computer, and do a complete reinstall of the system (at the same time, it will delete everything that isn't usefull).

But there one computer, that has so much stuff, and weirdly installed, and so much directory everywhere that I can't really reinstall, I need to clone it.

The current hdd is a 500gb, and the ssd is a 260gb, but only about 110gb is used.

I tried with clonezilla normal, clonezilla advanced (with the -icds and -k1 option), and with acronis true image 2014, but all of them crash.

Clonezilla give me the reason that the ssd is too small (even with thoses 2 options)

acronis simply said that the clone has failed (I didn't find any logs anywhere)

Any idea how I could achieve this?

Other software, or a step that I might forget?

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#2 DeadLine

DeadLine

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:01 AM

You could create a backup using the Windows Backup Manager and install the new SSD and when you're done installing windows simply reload the backup.

You could also copy all the important files and directories to external storage media (USB, extrernal HDD).

The cloning software will first check if it can copy all the data on the HDD to the SSD. If your HDD is larger than SSD but all the files (including hidden files) are less than SSD size then the cloning software must be able to shrink the HDD partition to the size of the SSD, at least that's what some people suggest.

Also, cloning a HDD to an SSD could cause certain problems which I've experienced first hand:

• You will have to manually enable trim in the registry
  • Most likely you will not have the partition aligned. On a clean install to SSD, windows 7 will create a small 100 MB partion and align the partitions properly.

This could cause performance issues.

Source:

http://be.hardware.i...te-4k-alignment

http://www.tomshardw...-kingston-drive

#3 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:59 AM

Deadline gave you what you need to hear. If you do reinstall machines again and again I could only thing of SSD being flash memory clusters, and that flash memories has rewriting limits, and since you re-write it all, it might be a lot less durable than hdd if you work them that way.

Another thing is... why not virtual machines? I guess it beats re-installing over and over...

Also there were software that erases any change to O.S after rebooting, I think it was called deep-freeze, used in cyber-coffees to wipe out user's installs, etc.

#4 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

Hi there, thx for the reply

I forget to mention that the computers are under debian, so utility like Windows Backup Manager will not do the tricks

I did read some story of success and even the kensington site suggest to use acronis true image to migrate to a smaller ssd as long as there is less data on it, but for some reason, it didn't work with me.

I do use a lots of virtual machines, but this is a developper machine, so he's already using some vm, and he'll be forced to run vm inside vm

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download