Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

First phone

first phone

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

Hello,

I know I'm late (very late), but today I got my first cell phone ever! (and if I could I would wait for a while, but since I do not have a home phone anymore, I need one)

It's a android LG G3, and I wanted to know:

- Do you have any tips, thing to do / not do?

- And what is your best apps that I should install and I will not be able to live without them after that?

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

First thing: when installing apps, always ALWAYS look at the detailed permissions before installing. I've seen cool looking games that want to launch as soon as your phone boots, be able to see all the apps you have running, and snoop into your contacts, for example. Google's "simplified permissions" are bloody useless for knowing whether an app is doing something that may invade your privacy.

Check out the Amazon app store as well. They have a free app of the day that changes every day. You can get some sweet deals that way.

My experience was that I found a ton of apps at first, and overloaded my device. Now, I have a couple dozen games on my phone, but only play 3 regularly.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 jasonalien

jasonalien

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, Objective-C, C#

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

What I want to know is how you could live without a cell phone until now...

#4 Error

Error

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Learning:Java

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:27 PM

I don't really have any tips, but I also have a G3 and it is a nice phone! You will really enjoy it!

#5 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Others
  • Learning:Assembly, Others

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:35 PM

I completely agree with WP. Just always remember that there is no such thing as free...you will pay one way or another. And also remember to do a complete restart of your device every week or so, that will keep help to avoid some potential crashes that will eventually happen. Oh, and even though they can be fun or helpful, location based services are evil in my opinion. I don't want anyone to know where I am at all times...

FACEB00K Likes this.

#6 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

Basically all of the above & don't become entrapped in the "DROID VS iOS" war, both have their pros and cons...different uses for different people...

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#7 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Others
  • Learning:Assembly, Others

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

Basically all of the above & don't become entrapped in the "DROID VS iOS" war, both have their pros and cons...different uses for different people...

I COMPLETELY agree with this! But for legal reasons, I can't say why...

But I can mention that you can run Kali Linux on some Android devices now. Imagine the possibilities...

FACEB00K Likes this.

#8 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

I COMPLETELY agree with this! But for legal reasons, I can't say why...

But I can mention that you can run Kali Linux on some Android devices now. Imagine the possibilities...

Been there done that, not that great to be honest.

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#9 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

Don't worry, I won't enter the war android vs ios, because android has already won the war, and I could not be happier :P (I seriously hate most of the apple products)

What I want to know is how you could live without a cell phone until now...

It's simple, I +/- follow the rules of voluntary simplicity (not sure that the word in english), but I try to have only the minimum material stuff possible.

I don't care about all that, my tv is about 15years old, don't have a car (I have the money if I wanted one, but don't), always move by walking or by bike, and appreciate what is free and public to everyone :)

#10 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

Well, I give a thumbs app for all of the above, then add this one: how active are you in the dating market? if very, you might want some "selective privacy" couple of apps, if you know what I mean.

#11 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

I work about 60-70hours a week, and currently, due do some burst pipe at home, I live in a closet at work, so no, I'm not active in the dating market... and of course, I'm waiting for kadence to make a move :P

But thx for the info (thx everyone), I'll keep it in mind for later

#12 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

maybe she already did ;)  are you missing a hint or two? hah! now that's how you make a hot thread :P

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download