Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Programming Mentor

c# asp.net c++ python php java teaching game development a

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Amarante

Amarante

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

Hello before i begin a would like to add a little brief history, first of all i have been in and around programming for around 8 years, started at the age of 12, first it was php then c++. Although around that time i was able to pick up the basics but i was never serious enough to continue i was always on and off. Fast forward to today at the age of 19, starting my degree soon enough. I have taken up what was my real passion growing up, writing software. Me and programming as been a love-hate type of relationship.

Now i have seen the errors of my ways and i started back a more concentrated effort on programming, this new surge has led me to be fairly competent in C# and i feel i am ready to take on my first big scale project, a browser based game using asp.net web pages. I know this project is complicated, its going to be big but i have the determination to see it through along with the motivation to get it done. Building a browser based game was always one of my passions, it was what really started me off to enter this world. 

Am not asking for someone to write the code for me but an experience programmer whether in asp.net or a next language but someone who i can ask for help on certain errors, someone to shine some light on good programming principles, who I can discuss the mechanics of the game with and see how best to get it done. I know programming is solving problems and through the designing process I have seen how i would create certain things and on some other systems i have no clue where to start. Does it scare me that i might fail it does, but failure is apart of life. And i am in no real rush, i know i still have alot to learn as it goes with the .net framework and asp webpages. This is something i feel can really prove if this is what i want, and will test if i am really call my self a programmer.

Thank you in advance.

#2 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

You can always post here with your problem and have the group contribute! :)

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#3 Amarante

Amarante

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

You can always post here with your problem and have the group contribute! :)

That is very true and I intend on doing that but its more of a personal touch and i don't think it would be a wise thing to have certain game mechanics opened to the world.

#4 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

I don't think many people here will have time to personally mentor...but we will see! :)

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#5 Amarante

Amarante

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

I don't think many people here will have time to personally mentor...but we will see! :)

I guess but their is an old saying, nothing ventured nothing gained.

#6 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

I would say what you need, instead of a mentor, is a more experienced partner to work with.

Best mentorship is about overcoming challenges, and those you find by working toe to toe in complex projects.

#7 Amarante

Amarante

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:16 PM

But that is sort of mentor is it not? Also am kinda the first person to kinda do this using Razor well i think i am....And i kninda know that not many programmers are interested in these sort of things.

#8 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • 3871 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

Well, it won't be easy to find a willing Sensei to take you under his/her wing, people have things to do you know. So, if you want to get some, then you need to give some. I think you should improve your level by yourself until you feel like capable of working some part of a open-source project. In there you'll be working in a team, with people more experienced than you, than will happily give you tips every now and then.

#9 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

As a frame of reference, I have a job (programmer). I am also co-owner of a Minecraft server. I'm also married. I also have cats to take care of. etc. etc. etc.

Most of us are extremely busy people :) With that said, if you get in on an open-source project, you'll probably get mentored as a bonus :)

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#10 Amarante

Amarante

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:59 AM

Okay guys. Also are internship remotely helpful?

#11 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • 3871 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

It is, as long as the assigned tasks are related to your mid-term goals, and you don't overstay it. If you opt for an internship you should try to make mentor-like friends with more experienced programers, if only to grasp some knowledge from casual chats.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download