Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Voice chat. Internet disappears

skype internet drop no connection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#13 GarbageCollector

GarbageCollector

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

Same is happening with Steam voice chat.

#14 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

Is it happening when just browsing?

FACEB00K Likes this.

#15 GarbageCollector

GarbageCollector

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:09 PM

If Skype isn't running then everything is ok. I can browse, watch youtube videos and so on. By the way, yesterday internet dropped when i just sended a message in skype.

#16 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:22 AM

Does it drop for ALL devices in your home, or just your computer? Trying to figure out if it's a filter on your router, or a filter at your ISP.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#17 GarbageCollector

GarbageCollector

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:09 AM

When internet drops and my computer is on, ALL devices CANT reach the internet. Once I shutdown my pc, I can use internet on my phone.

#18 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

That makes me think your router is seizing up.

#19 GarbageCollector

GarbageCollector

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:54 AM

But I tried to put Ethernet cable directly to computer. And internet still drops

#20 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

I'm not clear on what you mean by that. At least at my home, there's a line (DSL, Cable, etc) that plugs in to a "cable/DSL/etc modem". That modem may or may not also be a router. If it is also a router (in my case it is, and is also the wifi), then "I put ethernet cable directly to computer" doesn't change the fact that you're plugged into A router. On the other hand, if the modem connects to a separate device which is a router, then your computer is using the ISP's router at the other end as its "router".

#21 GarbageCollector

GarbageCollector

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

Yes, it's DSL. ISP gave me a modem without wifi. So I bought dlink dir 615 router.

#22 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

I'm not clear on what you mean by that. At least at my home, there's a line (DSL, Cable, etc) that plugs in to a "cable/DSL/etc modem". That modem may or may not also be a router. If it is also a router (in my case it is, and is also the wifi), then "I put ethernet cable directly to computer" doesn't change the fact that you're plugged into A router. On the other hand, if the modem connects to a separate device which is a router, then your computer is using the ISP's router at the other end as its "router".

Was thinking this very same thing.

You either have a modem/router combo, or a modem and a router -- but either way, a modem is required to communicate with the ISP. You can't plug the ethernet cable from the wall directly into your computer, as far as I know, it has to go through the modem.

Now, if I understand correctly -- when the connection is lost and the computer is still on, you cannot connect with phone or devices either? But by simply shutting down the computer, and doing nothing else, then the phone can connect? And it is connecting through Wi-Fi?

Edit: you posted just before me...so you have the computer connected wirelessly to the wireless router, and the router connected to the modem?

FACEB00K Likes this.

#23 GarbageCollector

GarbageCollector

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

I've just painted a picture how it goes. 574f35753664c558d396e593b5b1b5fb493.png

#24 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

OK, been doing a little research on Skype issues and certain routers, and found a couple of things:

If the UDP traffic generated by Skype it causing your connection to reset, it would most likely be due to hardware settings/failure or your ISP's security.  This would usually mean either the security settings in your hardware firewall/modem are blocking/restricting/misinterpreting the traffic.  So the traffic is seen as UDP flooding your connection.

This can also happen if you are using an all-in-one solution and your combo WiFi router cannot handle the "barrage" of data in that form.   You might want to try the connection out wired, but it might be too much to handle for the equipment.  Even if it should be capable of handling it.  So it ends up resetting it's own OS.  Sometimes firmware updates of your routing device might correct the error.

Also, there may be an issue with uPnP that Skype uses. Try this:

Open Skype, then -> Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Connection -> then uncheck Enable uPnP

This has worked for some users, but the quote seems to offer some insight to what may be happening, since you lose all access until the computer is shut down.

Edit:

Link to the forum http://community.sky...out/td-p/398031

Also, are you auto updating Skype?

FACEB00K Likes this.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download