Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Windows Office Word Touch

windows store

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 livingenzyme

livingenzyme

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:53 PM

A few weeks ago, I did a search in the windows store to find a word document touch oriented app I could use.  To my horror, every one I found sucked.  They had the absolute bare minimum features.  None of them have the most basic word processor features like autosave, spell check, etc.  After complaining to a colleague of mine, he encouraged me to write my own. 

So, here's the project.  I published it a few weeks ago.  The goal is to try to make it as practical and useful as possible.  So far, it has autosave, spell checker (in 121 languages), speech recognition (6 languages), be able to open many documents at the same time, view 2 documents in a split-view mode, and many other features.  Still has a to-do list, so it is not complete according to my plans.  The most important thing is I want to code this app as efficient and minimalistic as possible.  This means that I want to cram as many features into this app as I could and still have the app package as small as possible.  Right now, it is about 2.0mb.  In other words, I want to avoid lazy, inefficient coding as much as I can.

http://apps.microsof...d8-2e98dd20f538

Known bugs... the speech recognition stops working if the user switches from one language to another without shutting the feature off first.  There's a way for the trial user to make the app function with full features.  Still trying to track down what's causing this.

Anyway, the only thing missing from the trial is the ability to add text to the document.  Everything else works.  So, try it out.  Feel free to critique and give me suggestions.  :)

Edited by livingenzyme, 24 July 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#2 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

It looks nice!

About trials, there's a law of software you don't want to be hacked I read in a site named Fravia a ton of years ago; it says: if you are giving up a free trial version of your app, don't flag-up the features you don't want to be used, just give them a version where those features aren't part of the code. That way you wouldn't be hacked the way you were.

#3 DatRoyce

DatRoyce

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Others
  • Learning:C++

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:48 AM

Do you plan to only release this on the Microsoft store?

#4 livingenzyme

livingenzyme

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:34 AM

Wow, I'd completely forgotten I started this thread.

Little update.  Most bugs have been resolved.  The next big update (will be released within a week or so) will add a real time spell checker.  This real time spell checker will support 21 languages, including Russian, Italian, Spanish, French, Norwegian, German, etc.

Also, the table will be resizable.  Will be much easier to resize images. Much more stable.  Half a dozen other things.

The app is now slowly but surely moving up towards the top on the front pages.  Already on the top 10 of productivity, top gross, ratings, etc.  Woohoo!

I am really determined to make this a true alternative to MS Word.

And yes, only windows 8.1 and above.  iOS and Android are toys.  I'm done developing for those systems.

#5 DatRoyce

DatRoyce

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Others
  • Learning:C++

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

Wow! Congrats! Glad to see that work is still being done!

#6 livingenzyme

livingenzyme

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:36 AM

I just sent out a major update.  The name of the app has been changed to Modern Word Processor.  The other name was too close to MS's trade mark for comfort.  Anyway, you probably won't see the new version (4.0) in the store until Monday or Tuesday.

First of all, real-time spell checker. You have no idea how many times I banged my head against a brick wall to make this happen. I almost gave up several times, too. What kept me going was the fact that a word processor ain't a real world processor if it couldn't even do a real-time spell check.
2.png

Speaking of real word processor, what's a word processor without the find and replace functionality? Again, I've been banging my head against a brick wall the last 2 weeks to make this happen.
3.png

The user can now save the document directly to doc, docx, rtf, html, or txt. No need for a special export function.

Tables are now resizable. Furthermore, the user now has control over the background colors of table cells. Cells can be combined and divided. Just play around with the controls to see what I mean. I spent a lot of time tweaking the formatting engine to make it work.

Some users have asked for more font style choices. So, rather than pick and choose which fonts to include and which not to include, I decided to include all 255 font styles available.
fontstyles.png

Oh yeah, I've completely redesigned the radial menu. For starter, I've made it slightly bigger. Some users have complained that the old one was too small. If I make it too big, it would take over too much real estate. So, I kept playing around with the layout of the radial menu to until I got it just right. I've also made the radial menu threads more intuitive. And the color of the radial menu will now reflect the color of the theme the user has chosen. Just play around with it to see what I mean.

radialmenu.png

Some users have requested I make it possible to hide the menu buttons and top title bar. So, with the newest update, the user can swipe down from the top to hide the title bar and the menu buttons. Do it again to bring back the title bar and menu buttons. The user can also achieve this with a mouse by moving the cursor all the way up to the top edge and right click. On keyboard, it's the windows key + z.
fullscreen.png

There are many added functionalities.  It's hard to list them all, so I'll just mention one more thing.  The user can hand write or hand draw directly into the document.  This is particularly useful if you are taking typed notes and you need to draw something quickly into the document.  Or if you need to hand sign a document.

7.png

From now on, every time the user closes a file, the app will ask to save or not.

I've included an instruction file in the global menu. For now, it's not much of an instruction. I put it together in about 15 minutes. I'll try to write a more comprehensive one later for the next update.

Over all, much hard work has been put into this latest update. I'm proud of my work. I hope you will like it.

Remember, if you find a bug, please tell me. I won't know unless you tell me.

Also keep in mind that I'm one guy with an old laptop. I'm trying to make this app as close to MS word as I can, but given that MS has billions of dollars and tens of thousands of software engineers... just give me a break where you can.

Don't forget to give me suggestions clear.png

Edited by Roger, 17 October 2014 - 02:44 PM.

#7 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:04 AM

Looks great!

For sure you need online tutorials, guides, and a responsive site for users suggestions. And probably a link to a Codecall tutorial :P

#8 livingenzyme

livingenzyme

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:50 AM

The app now supports translation of entire essays/papers between 45 languages, including Klingon.

Attached Thumbnails

• translator1.png
  • translator2.png
  • translator3.png

#9 livingenzyme

livingenzyme

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:29 AM

I just sent out a major update to my Modern Word.  Should be available to download in a couple hours.

Here are some things included in this update.

1. Paragraph alignments and line/paragraph spacings are now retained in saved files doc, docx, and rtf.  Before, these elements were lost every time the user saved to these formats.  As I said before, my formatting engine is written entirely in html.  It's the language I'm most familiar with and also the only one I know how to do a real-time spell check function with.
  2. Added more short-cut keys.  The list for these keys are in the instruction file.  Just go into global settings and press on the Instruction button on top.
  3. I've refined some code logics to add stability and improve the speeds of the function.
  4. Upon user request, the app can now open and save to txt file format.
  5. Save to pdf!  Been working on this function for 3 months.  3 different approaches.  Finally, on the 3rd approach I didn't run into a brick wall like the other 2 attempts.  The resulting pdf file is fully searchable.  This means the texts are selectable and searchable.
8.png

Please note that Modern Word is the only app in the store currently that can do this without using an online web server.  That's right.  The function to convert the document to pdf is fully contained in the app itself!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows store

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download