Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Revolutionary Universal Compression

compression entropy information theory veritasium

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Others
  • Learning:Assembly, Others

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

I love how Veritasium has a way of making complex theories and ideas easily digestible! This one deals with information, and how compression and entropy effects predictability. It's not directly programming related, but the information theory aspects are definitely relevant!

I've always thought that information required order, but it appears that entropy is actually the driver of information. And if you thought the same, prepare to have you mind blown in less than 10 minutes.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube....h?v=sMb00lz-IfE

Can't wait to hear some thoughts on this.

FACEB00K Likes this.

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

Electrical engineers like to talk about the "signal to noise ratio". The signal is the degree of regularity in a transmission, and the noise is the amount of irregularity. If you listen to a noiseless signal, you have a sine wave, which actually has virtually NO information: amplitude, frequency, etc. It's a pure tone at a constant volume. In order to distinguish between the sound of a piano and a violin playing C, you need the additional irregularity of additional harmonics, which are different between the two instruments.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Others
  • Learning:Assembly, Others

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

Having been an audio engineer and musician, I completely agree with that assessment WP!

FACEB00K Likes this.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: compression, entropy, information theory, veritasium

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download