Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Mobile application for learning English - suggestions wanted :)

learning ios android windows phone learn english learning english app for learning language

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KrzysztofKrl

KrzysztofKrl

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

Hello my friends, we are now finishing LingLing - mobile application for learning languages for iOS and Windows Phone. 

It uses spaced repetition alghoritm (application similar to the classic system of supermemo), gamification and mnemonics. 

I was using this application to learn Thai for about a year - 20-30 minutes a day  learn gave me ability to read Thai and memorize 4000 new words a day (in the end of the year I plan to make 7000, which should already allow me to speak freely in this language). 

Currently, we have free versions on Android:

The application for learning English LingLing:
The application for learning Spanish LingLing:
The application for learning French LingLing:
The application for learning German LingLing:
The application for learning Chinese LingLing:
The application for learning Thai LingLing:

As we are now in the last stage of developing this app for iOS and Windows Phone i would like to ask you, if you could give me some feedback about the app - what we can improve, change or maybe you have some interesting ideas, how to make this app even more effective and easy to use.

If you have any problems with using the app - you can fin tutorial here http://www.joinlingling.com  here are all the features explained in details.

Thank you in advance for your help guys!

Edited by KrzysztofKrl, 07 July 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#2 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:17 PM

I think the first thing you should think about is the landing page.

You have a beautiful learn-English site which home page is . . . in English . . . the language your targeted client allegedly doesn't speak.

You should solve that by detecting user location by its IP address, and then redirecting the home page to the one in the user's location native language.

#3 KrzysztofKrl

KrzysztofKrl

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:57 PM

BlackRabbit - thats great idea - i will search it how to do such feature - webiste is in 18 languages it took me 4 months to just put all the data on it :D

#4 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:08 AM

BlackRabbit - thats great idea - i will search it how to do such feature - webiste is in 18 languages it took me 4 months to just put all the data on it :D

look up "Geo location" or alternatively offer the user a choice of flags so they can click it and then it will re-direct to that language.

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#5 KrzysztofKrl

KrzysztofKrl

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:25 AM

The choice of flags is done already - also the plugin in joomla has set the language to choose automatically by the language in the browser - but surely better will be by ip (but then for example the guy that lives in Thailand and want to learn Thai will see Thai site and dont understand it :))

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download