Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

KVM SWITCH

kvm switchiogear

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PBJ

PBJ

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, Python, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Bash

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

Howdy,

I plan on buying a KVM switch (IOGEAR GCS2SU) for my workstation, I currently have three towers, two laptops (soon three), and a 40' flat screen television as a monitor. My keyboard is a logitech k400r (built in mouse). However, I will only be using my three towers and one of my laptops, and was thinking it would be a better idea to have a single monitor instead of one for each tower/laptop. One of my towers runs XP, another Arch Linux, my primary laptop runs Manjaro, my frankenstein laptop runs a current LFS I work on periodically, and my main tower runs Windows 8. I'm pretty sure that the KVM switch will work for all the different OSs, but wondered if anyone else had a similar setup and had success. From the reviews, it appears to be a safe buy, but I just wanted to ensure its functionality. Also, would you guys think it will be possible to have 4 sub-screens in the same 40' monitor area? If so, would you happen to know if this is the KVM switch to do the job? or should I be looking for a different unit?

Thanks

Edited by PBJ, 14 June 2014 - 06:17 AM.

#2 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:25 PM

It does not matter what os you use when we are talking about a kvm switch, it simply work

The only thing you have to look for is if you have the correct connector on every single on your computer

Normally, you have a button on your kvm switch (sometime it's sync to a button on your keyboard), and you alternate between each computer

I google "IOGEAR GCS2SU" to find the kvm stats, but didn't find anything, are you sure this is the correct model number?

And to split your screen into 4... as far as I know, you need a pretty professional setup to do so, and this will cost you a lots!

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#3 PBJ

PBJ

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, Python, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Bash

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:21 AM

vai,

I appreciate the feedback, I'm not much of a hardware guy. I have modified my initial post with the link directly to the switch. What would I need in order to split my screen into 4 different sections, each with their own piece of the screen?

#4 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:14 AM

You will need a video wall processor (sometime called a screen splitter)

I looked at some computer part selling site (amazon, newegg, tiger...) but didn't find any

I know the compagny network tech inc have some model that does the tricks ( http://www.networkte...d-splitter.html ) but like I said the price vary between 3 000 and 4500$

The compagny matrox have some models too, but it's only sli card, so you need a sli box, and they don't show the price on the website, which means, it's gonna be pretty pricy too

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#5 PBJ

PBJ

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

Vai,

I appreciate your continued feedback and will be purchasing the KVM switch in the not too distant future. Also, the price of video wall processors is definitely not in my budget right now. I think I'll stick to a KVM switch for the time being, and keep an eye out for any other solutions to my 4 in 1 monitor. +2 for you.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download