Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Computer Science Major

computer science major university usc programming

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alcamech

Alcamech

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Programming Language:Python
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, Python, JavaScript

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

Hello Codecall Community, I know it has been quite some time since I posted in these forums but I graduated June 5th 2014. Come August I will be attending the University of South Carolina in Columbia Majoring in Computer Science. I have taken a interest in programming and computer science since freshman year of high school. And although I still don't have that much of a grasp of understanding the realm of Computer science I have general knowledge of programming and decent understanding of computers themselves. I have always been a geek  ;) . Anyways, any tips ? Stories ? for a future computer science major. Also I would like to know what you think has to be done in order to succeed in being a computer science major. 

#2 PBJ

PBJ

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, Python, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Bash

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:39 AM

Alcamech,

I don't care what anyone says, Computer Science is the one most difficult majors to obtain but after earning it you'll easily see that it pays off. In my area, C.S requires a ridiculous amount of mathematics, physics, and other hard-sciences. Therefore, I went into Information Technology: w/ a concentration in Software Development. The change was definitely for me, I couldn't care less about mathematics & hard-sciences and could never wrap my head around why you would ever need that much math or hard-sciences for programming. I could see for maybe creating algorithms or something, but I don't care about that either; I'll just stick to the standards in my specific API or implement the one with the best average case. C.S is definitely the way to go if you don't mind taking irrelevant math and hard-science courses. I.T w/ some concentration (in my case Software Development), after my first 4 semesters, I was taking 100% computer courses and no b.s math/hard sciences... now that I look at the courses I took and the ones a c.s student would've taken... I took more hands-on and/or classes dealing with computers than a C.S student. Hope that helped.

#3 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:22 AM

Columbia is a sweltering hellhole in late spring though late fall. Dress appropriately :)

I majored in math, and can tell you that there are tons of math courses that overlap heavily with CS.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#4 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:25 AM

Computer Science is a subjective topic, you may find it easy, you may find it hard, personally as a mathematics nerd I find Computer related subjects quite a breeze but my friend who is not so good at maths (but an excellent programmer) finds more advanced topics harder (naturally)

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#5 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

It's not about how hard it is, but about how much it fits you. You don't need much more than dedication, determination, and an average brain to get any degree that suits you. The trick is to choose wisely, as PBJ pointed out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: computer, science, major, university, usc, programming

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download