Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Project Plan

opengl java game development libgdx rpg turn-based

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Somers

Somers

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

Hey Everyone, 

I am new to this site. Like most people's stories, I'm trying to develop a game. Partly for fun, and to keep me busy.

I'm a Software Developer Apprentice and I am learning very fast. I wouldn't say I'm the best coder, but willing to learn.

Anyways to the point... I'm creating a turn-based rpg in java using the libgdx api (originally started with Slick2d) I'm working

with friends at my workplace who are still learning computer science concepts and how to program. So at the moment

they are helping me with Music, Art and Game story etc... They will hopefully take away some coding time when they have learnt a little more.

I'm getting to the point where searching for a method isn't helping. The problem is the logic of the game, whats the best way of doing things.

So I'll be posting on here with questions, advice and maybe even ideas about the game ( that still needs a name).

So far I have been able to Load a map which is just a .png file, load a sprite and animate the character and add the collision to the game. Also,

have been working on enemies that so are only stationary. I want to add some sort of Engine to the game, so other characters are unique - somewhat.

All this was done with Slick2d and then I'm currently swapping other to LibGDX, and basically starting again to get everything running as efficient as 

possible.

I have added a picture of what I have done so far. Hope you like it. I'm posting mainly to keep me going and to get good advice of you guys. :)

What do you think, have any questions or advice?

Thanks 

ES1.PNG

#2 0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

When you say the map is a png file - do you mean each component tile is a png and you built it up using a configured map; or have you created the map in say photoshop yourself?

Creating SEGFAULTs since 1995.

#3 Somers

Somers

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:10 PM

I have to tiles as separate images that i draw on the screen within a Method.

Not really I nice way to do it - I know. it's why FPS is very low for a very small map.

What I was working on today was using TMX loader to be able to add collision and

getting the properties withing the file to make getting collision easier and to be able

to make maps easier within the Tiled editor

:D 

#4 0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:54 AM

ah, so for each draw of the frame you are re-drawing the individual images onto the screen?

Have you thought about rendering the background onto a buffer, then in each drawing frame you're just blitting the buffer? Normally in these things the fewer calls to the library the better.

Creating SEGFAULTs since 1995.

#5 Somers

Somers

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

Yeah I'll keep that in mind. Thanks. 

After using LIbGDX and loading tmx files instead of rendering individual blocks my frame and gone up to about 1700 - 2000. So it's not to bad now. 

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download