Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Introducing Podball - A futuristic ball game and programming contest

contest project

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LarsRuoff

LarsRuoff

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:48 AM

Introducing Podball:

Podball is a futuristic ball game simulation and programming contest.

Two teams compete against each other in a rectangular arena, trying to kick a ball into the other teams goal to score points. Much like soccer or ice hockey. Each player of a team is called a pod, hence the name of the project. The pods and ball are circular objects that can move in any direction on the plane but are subject to inertia and friction.

But what is more important than the game itself is the way the teams are controlled: Teams are controlled by program modules that are up to you to conceive and develop! That is the programming contest part of Podball.

Podball specifies a simple interface to which client code can connect to control the behavior of a team of pods on the field.

I could need some help on the project, if someone's interested.
These are the things to do in the near future:

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

It looks interesting. It reminds me of a Java combat environment I found a while back where you coded a tank in Java.

It would be nice if you had the scripting or other control options working and documented. I know I'm not the only person who uses Linux for my personal computer. With that said, it may already be "working", and just need to be tested.

As far as your scripting concerns, I think worrying about being able to "compile" a script is something of a non-issue. In a well run contest, users will submit their team control scripts to a group of judges who are NOT participating. Then the judges would be responsible for running games and could record game play and post to YouTube for reference.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 LarsRuoff

LarsRuoff

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:07 AM

It would be nice if you had the scripting or other control options working and documented. I know I'm not the only person who uses Linux for my personal computer. With that said, it may already be "working", and just need to be tested.

The scripting stuff is currently being worked on. It has highest priority. That said, i could need a bit of help on that.

Concerning the Linux build, it should work, but you'd be restricted to the built-in team as long as scripting isn't ready.

You're probably right on that. It isn't a major concern. But people might be reluctant to share their code during the development phase, even for asking questions during debugging for example.

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

The linux/mac equivalent of a .dll is a .so file. I haven't played with the dynamic linking, but I suspect it should "just work" if you compile properly. Of course, sending a .so team file to someone running it on Windows wouldn't work well :)

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: contest, project

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download