Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Trying to move away from Microsoft

microsoft open source

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#13 gregwarner

gregwarner

Obi Wan of Programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

Here's what Microsoft's mentality was in designing Windows 8:

"Hey, these phones and tablets are catching on. Let's make the desktop operate exactly like that!"

Wrong. Desktops and tablets are two very different operating paradigms, and the distinction between the two should never be blurred.

ti-99-sig.png
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
– Douglas Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

#14 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:55 AM

You could always try lying on the ground and kicking your feet in a temper tantrum. :)

I am on 8.1 right now, and every time I move my mouse those stupid charms display on the side and steal focus away from whatever I am doing.   Prepare for constant frustration with 8.1..

Alas, the people driving this would not be the ones entertained by me rolling around on the ground like a three year old denied his pacy. One of my coworkers is already on 8.1. It took him about a year to stop complaining about it.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#15 meridius10

meridius10

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

I didn't realise so many people were on the same page about Windows 8.1. When Microsoft release a product it is actually still at the beta stage and we are the guinea pigs.

I haven't tried them but apparently there are 3rd party products that skip that stupid start screen. What I found incredible was the start icon which when pressed does nothing and having to constantly go back to the start screen from the desktop in order to search or do anything meaningful. You would have thought they would have learnt following on from the disaster of Vista Millenium but it looks like they didn't learn a single thing.

I had personally been hoping for the rise of Ubuntu in 2008 when I first got to know it but it is a Linux product living in a Microsoft world. I don't think Google Chrome OS has made the right impact although time will tell whether they have developed the right cloud operating system model. I found too many restrictions with their product on what I couldn't install and to give Microsoft the credit I can install any old rubbish on it!....

Edited by meridius10, 21 May 2014 - 02:14 PM.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download