Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Trying to move away from Microsoft

microsoft open source

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 meridius10

meridius10

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:59 AM

I've been trying, unsuccessfully,  to move away from Microsoft since 2008. I dual booted XP and Ubuntu, loved Ubuntu, but then couldn't run Office or SQL Server in it properly.

Now I am trying to learn some web programming and the now free Expression Web comes up. Actually I am looking for an open source alternative that is non MS and as good. Any suggestions?

I understand the basic concepts of HTML and CSS but am not sure when I would have to use PHP (only with MySQL as a database connector or on its own?). At the same time I haven't really found an open source competitor to Visual Studio that is widely used. Any suggestions?

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:41 PM

Instead of MS Office, use LibreOffice (or OpenOffice). Instead of SQL Server, you can run MySQL or Firebird or Oracle.

For web development, you can use Java, PHP, node.js, etc.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 farrell2k

farrell2k

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

All good suggestions.  

If I were moving away from Microsoft and I wanted to learn Web development while still remaining employable, i would download netbeans, a great open source competitor to Visual Studio and learn the basics of web development with jsp and servlets.  You could play with php, but learning something a little more object oriented is probably a better idea.

Nothing stopping you from using any open source relational database like Apache Derby (JavaDB), hsqldb, etc.  I would stay away from mysql because of its license restrictions.

Averageloser.com - I used to be a programmer like you, then I took a -> in the knee. 

#4 meridius10

meridius10

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

Thanks. This idea was also spurred on by a friend of mine who sells MS software and is sick of it after a failed upgrade to Office 2013 cost him two weeks of outlook messages.

I'll definitely try your suggestions and possibly dual boot with Ubuntu to see if I can eventually escape from the MS zoo.

#5 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:05 AM

I'm not a Microsoft fan-boy by any means, but I wouldn't try to make a jump because a friend wasn't smart enough to back up his data before doing any kind of operations that may risk his data.

Rule 1:  Back up your data

Rule 2:  See rule 1.

I would use what works best for me in any situation.  Currently, for me, this is Microsoft office.  I have tried others, but seem to gravitate back after finding some annoyance where I can't get a simple task done in that software.

With that said, I also don't go running to upgrade whenever Microsoft comes out with a new version.  I am using the latest office, but I will NEVER install Windows 8.  That is nothing more than a bloated piece of junk.  Balmer lost his job over it and a bunch of other misguided calls.

We'll see what happens moving forward.

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#6 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

I've found MS Office annoying for about a decade, but the latest version likes to lock up on me. Regularly. Like at about a 30% rate when I open documents. I've about lost my mind with it.

#7 meridius10

meridius10

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:51 AM

I couldn't agree more on Windows 8. I need to buy a new laptop and can't stand the thought that it will have Windows 8.1 on it. I tested it for a week and lost a part of my life doing so! I would probably wipe the HDD and put another operating system on it or dual boot Windows/Linux.

As for Office I am still using 2003. One of the laptops has 2007, but I really don't need much more. I could try Open Office but the problem comes with formatting outside of pdf as if you open a Word document in Open Office it doesn't always keep the original formatting.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has managed to use only open source operating systems and software and managed to remain employable.

#8 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:47 AM

It depends on the career :)

For work, I'm stuck using MS products. For home use, I avoid them like the plague.

#9 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:01 AM

I'm a web programmer, mostly PHP, so I only touch windows when I have to test my code under internet explorer (in a virtual machine)

Rest of the time, I'm always under debian (home & work)... I did once work under windows 8.1 to setup a presentation stand, and I wanted to burn the whole city just to be sure the computer didn't survive!

"Oh you want to shutdown the computer... easy: just press windows + c, setup, shutdown, then wait about 30minutes for updates, and then, the screen will go dark but the computer will still run, you have to press the power button on the computer"... yeah, "user friendly"

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#10 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:59 AM

I'll be forced to use windows 8.1 at work soon. I'm trying to figure out ways to stall the inevitable.

#11 farrell2k

farrell2k

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:38 AM

I'll be forced to use windows 8.1 at work soon. I'm trying to figure out ways to stall the inevitable.

You could always try lying on the ground and kicking your feet in a temper tantrum. :)

I am on 8.1 right now, and every time I move my mouse those stupid charms display on the side and steal focus away from whatever I am doing.   Prepare for constant frustration with 8.1..

Averageloser.com - I used to be a programmer like you, then I took a -> in the knee. 

#12 0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

We're only just moving off XP here, and only onto 7. So Windows 8 will be a while before we're subjected to it.

I just can't see that design working well in an office/dev environment. Not everyone is a tablet user, just like not everyone needs a desktop.

Creating SEGFAULTs since 1995.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download