Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Visual Studio 2012 compile time

compile

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 lintwurm

lintwurm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:06 AM

This is probably more of a rant than anything else. I'm currently helping on an opensource project for geostats and have a laptop with Windows on (for work purposes) and a desktop at home with Linux installed.

On the Linux environment I have KDevelop 4.6 installed and love it to bits. I really like Visual Studio as well and I really like the dark theme it has going on.

When compiling though, I HATE Visual Studio. When building the solution (not rebuilding) it takes longer (approx 15 minutes) than KDevelop takes to REBUILD the project.

Does anyone have ideas on how to get the times down on Visual Studio?

What I've tried so far is:

Under Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->Build and Run I set the MSBuild output to Quiet (Was hoping less output would mean quicker compile times)

Right click on solution->Properties->Common Properties->Copy Local (Once again hoping that less copying would mean quicker compile times)

and a couple more things.

It's really pathetic that there is such a massive difference! Also, there are only 17 projects in the solution so it's not even that many.

Thanks for reading!

No harm was done to the world in sending this message, but a few million electrons have been SERIOUSLY inconvenienced...

#2 0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:20 AM

It could be that your laptop's specs aren't up to scratch?

You'd want a quick disk & good CPU for low compile times. If you use lots of templates in your code that could influence things.

Creating SEGFAULTs since 1995.

#3 lintwurm

lintwurm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:47 AM

The specs are very similar in both machines. In the desktop I have an AMD Fx-8150 and the laptop has an i7. In fact, the laptop has more memory at 12GB to the desktops 8GB. Neither of these devices have an SSD either.

Using templates and the way the project was coded shouldn't make too much of a difference as both machines need to compile the same code?

No harm was done to the world in sending this message, but a few million electrons have been SERIOUSLY inconvenienced...

#4 0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

Different compilers will do things differently, and at different speeds. Maybe someone else has experience at speeding up such builds.

Templates can added alot of time to compiling if used incorrectly. 

#5 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

Just because it has more there doesn't mean it has more power.

How old is the laptop vs the desktop?

Also be noted that a laptop will have less powerful hardware even if it has "more" for instance my laptop has a 2.5GHZ processor but my desktop has a 2GHZ processor however my desktop can run hashcat at 20M hashes per sec where as my laptop can only do 16M.

Alternatively the Ram on my laptop is 6GB where as on my desktop is 4GB but I still see better performance from my desktop.

Hope that helps. 

Edited by Kadence, 14 May 2014 - 08:28 AM.

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#6 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

If you're having build times like that, there is something else going on.  I have an ancient machine at work, and my current (very large) project takes about 3-4 minutes to build.  99% of that is due to the lack of memory on my machine.  It actually has a 32 bit OS, so there is no upgrading......but a new machine is on the way.  :thumbup:

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#7 0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:14 PM

Maybe its a crappy IO controller and a fragged disk? I'm guessing you're on Windows 7 so all that memory can be used. The only way to find out for certain is to try it on another machine of similar specs

#8 farrell2k

farrell2k

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

I have an amd fx6300 8gb ram running windows 8 64 bit, and I feel your pain.  Visual studio 2013 is much slower than even eclipse, and I have never opened multiple projects.  

Averageloser.com - I used to be a programmer like you, then I took a -> in the knee. 

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download