Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Random crashing when playing games?

support help me swagolicous computer crashes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#25 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

I mean...it's a big heat sink. I ran CoreTemp (as I already have it), and the temps are at a maximum of 45C with a TJ capacity of 90.

I am going to have to cut this conversation short as It is late here. Thank you a lot for the help! 

Send a like my way if I helped you or if you found my post useful or even just enjoyed reading my post.
Thank you :)

#26 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

No worries man, glad I could be helpful!

And from what I read "hwinfo64 or openhardware monitor" are better for AMD processors than Core Temp (even thoug, that's what I have been using too), so I would try those.

And good luck in sorting this out!

FACEB00K Likes this.

#27 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:01 AM

Also make sure that the heat sink is seated correctly on the chip.  I had this issue with a computer a while ago.  I bought a large forced-air heatsink with internal liquid.  It was huge.  I did the usual benchmark and it was a winner across the board.  Over time, the computer started to crash while playing any games.  Soon after that, it wasn't just games. 

The reason was that the heat sink was so top heavy, that over time it unseated itself from the chip.  I guess that design would have been great for a desktop style (laying down) computer, but there was a serious design flaw in tower style (standing up or on it's side) style PCs.  A simple change to another heat sink (with a lower profile) solved the problem.

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#28 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

bump

Any idea's?

Send a like my way if I helped you or if you found my post useful or even just enjoyed reading my post.

#29 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

Did you try any other temp test?

FACEB00K Likes this.

#30 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

Yea, even checked it out in BIOS, it's not an overheating problem I don't believe.

#31 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

I've been reading that AMD's onboard temp reporting is sometimes not accurate due to the use of an algorithm to calculate the temp instead of an actual thermometer. See here and here for some info.

The socket temp is derived from a thermister mouted below the CPU socket and it is NOT the actual CPU core temp. The socket temp can vary 10C-25C higher than the CPU core temp because the socket has no cooling, where as the CPU does. The only temp that matters is the CPU core temp and 61C for 24/7 operation is the normal FX 8-core CPU max.

You can use the software program Core Temp to see the proper CPU core temp. as many software programs list the socket temp as "CPU" temp. which is very confusing and in fact wrong.

IME AMD tech support is quite lacking but every now and then then actually get something correct. The fact they did not differentiate between core temp and CPU temp is typical and troubling... IME the FX processors work just fine well into the mid-60C range unlike PII CPUs that mostly liked to be kept below 55C. All X86 CPUs produced in the last few years have thermal temp sensors that throttle the CPU frequency and vcore if they get above the desired max core temp. On the FX 8-core models this is 70C.

So if you are running above the 70C, that could be the problem.

Other than that, I am almost at a loss. Do you get the same behavior during idle or other applications?

FACEB00K Likes this.

#32 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:36 AM

During Idle, not really. I think it only crashed once during startup and I am sure that's right after it crashed. This crashes during other games however, I have to run games on medium and such as opposed to me being able to for the most part run the games with almost maxed out graphical options.

So what, more thermal paste?  :confused:

#33 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

Here is what I would do:

1. Try to replicate the issue. -- Run the game that crashes the most while closely monitoring the core temp (to verify that the temp is an issue). If the temp is above the threshold when it crashes, more than likely you are addressing at least one issue.

2. Try an alternate means of cooling and run the game again. -- I don't know if you have a tower or not but if so, open the sides to dissipate more heat. I have also tried using a regular house fan to force more air into the open case to see if that affected the temp (it did). If the lowered temp makes it more stable running the game, then you really know that you are in the right direction.

3. Consider permanent alternate cooling methods. -- I use liquid cooling combined with forced air which has worked very well for me. 8 fans is a good amount of fans, but you still have to consider things like ambient room temp since the air being forced in will be at that temp. And if you have a problem like lespauled, maybe checking to see if what ever is cooling the CPU has loosened or separated any at all from the motherboard.

That is where I would start.

Also, how many watts is your power supply, how old is it, and what brand?

If you can eliminate heating as an issue -- and the game keeps crashing no matter how cool the CPU is -- then it might be a power supply issue.

Edited by 0x16, 05 May 2014 - 06:23 PM.

FACEB00K Likes this.

#34 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

My Powersupply is 850W Coolermaster SIlent Pro, I'll try to replicate

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download