Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Random crashing when playing games?

support help me swagolicous computer crashes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#13 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

Crashing while testing each module individually is strange because previously it would actually complete the bootup and run the games for while, correct?

I guess now the next step will be to replicate the problem.

You said that it happens most frequently on game A? What's the difference between the games? If it is a power supply issue, my next question would be why would game A cause it to happen and not game C? And why does a mem test cause it to happen (which still makes me think it is a memory issue some how).

Oh, and is your system overclocked? Because, that is something else that can cause this behavior. If it is, you may have to adjust the frequency and/or voltage. But you better know what you are doing if you are adjusting these, because you can fry your system -- literally.

FACEB00K Likes this.

#14 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

Underclocking & Undervolting is the only way I can run games with settings on medium. And I would like to say that the computer started, I just couldn't run the test without it crashing.

This started happening a week ago.

Send a like my way if I helped you or if you found my post useful or even just enjoyed reading my post.
Thank you :)

#15 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:21 PM

So you have to run your system slower for the games to run? Are you doing this because of heat issues or because you are running older games? A heat issue could be the cause of random restarts too.

And did you happen to add any new hardware in the last week? Or update any drivers?

As I mentioned before, I had a driver issue within the last month myself -- it was an update for the Nvidia graphics adapter. And I started having similar issues with random restarts. After I rolled the driver back to the previous version, it hasn't happened since.

I also had a problem with overclocking a few years back, and the solution was to find the right multiplier for the frequency I wanted.

When I pushed my 3.2Ghz processor to 4Ghz I had the same behavior: random restarts. But I also got a message that the overclock failed after restart (I have AMD processor too).

But after I found the correct multiplier for the voltage, I was able to run between 3.8Ghz and 3.9Ghz stable, and no heat issues (currently running @ 3.7Ghz after a memory upgrade from 4GB to 12GB, which improved performance greatly). 

Here are my current frequency, multiplier, and voltage settings from Core Temp:

Core Temp.png

And I am running MS Flight Simulator X on highest settings with addons (and recording video at the same time) on a 4 year old quad core, but it's liquid cooled.

FACEB00K Likes this.

#16 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

Hmm, now that I think of it, I think I updated to the latest. What version do you have? And no I didn't install any new hardware.

Thanks for all the help everyone is doing, learned alot of possible causes! I am going to roll back my driver now

Send a like my way if I helped you or if you found my post useful or even just enjoyed reading my post.

#17 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

I bet you did the same thing I did...and I have read that a lot of people are having problems with this update:

nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3, NVIDIA GeForce 

and it's something to do with Windows Update, rather than with the Nvidia updater. After I rolled this back, the problem stopped (or at least hasn't done a random restart since then).

Here is the MS support thread on it that was started back 2012 (yes, 2012 -- yet I just got the notification that this update is available to me)

Windows Update.png

Edited by KJGino, 01 May 2014 - 07:04 PM.

FACEB00K Likes this.

#18 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

I rolled it back and I still cannot go through memcheck86 without crashing, but I DID get farther on it though time wise. What do you mean by Windows Update? I don't see any optional updates about nVidia. I should also mention that the alarm on my graphics card control panel sounds when I play a game. Though (I have two monitors) I have the control panel open and my graphics card is at a very stable temperature?

::UPDATE::

I just ran HWMonitor and it says well this...

a92d0a7c7369cc95deda593df01b1ff8.png

The maximum is what I want you to look at. It was steadily climbing 1C a second. 

However, the GPU control panel is saying 50-60C when playing a game.

Edited by Thryckz, 01 May 2014 - 07:47 PM.

#19 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

:::UPDATE:::

I ran game C again and I got the alarm that I configured for my gpu temp in my control panel to go off, once it goes over 100 by default, and it goes off the second I start a game, but temps are all fine now?

#20 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

Haha! I moved away from the page before I posted a very informative post...so I will try again!

FACEB00K Likes this.

#21 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

lol happens to me all the time!

#22 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

So you have your alarm set for 100C? That is at or above the TJ Max temp (depends where research) and should start the thermal protection -- which shuts down the system for protection.

I found a forum discussing this very thing for your processor:

Safe Temp FX-8350.png

This could very well be the problem as it shows 71C in your post. So what are you using for cooling? If it is just forced air flow, that may very well be the problem...it is tripping the thermal shutdown. And that would make a bit more sense why the memtest would fail too if the temps were above the threshold.

Oops, the 100C TjMax temp is for Intel processors, but that is what mine is set for too. Says the max for AMD FX processor are about 70C.

FACEB00K Likes this.

#23 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

I wasn't sure that the Temperature for the max [TJ] was farenheit or celsius. What do you mean forced air flow? I have eight fans that are on, no cooling besides that. Do I need to re-apply thermal compound?

#24 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:06 PM

Fans are forced air flow -- vs. other cooling systems like water or liquid nitrogen.

And heat my be your problem. Are you running HWInfo to monitor your CPU temps? If you are, you want to check the socket and core temps.

And what type of heatsink are you using? Is it large enough to dissipate the heat properly?

FACEB00K Likes this.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download