Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Random crashing when playing games?

support help me swagolicous computer crashes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

My computer recently started to decide to get sick right when I finally threw together some money to play some pretty intriguing games. However, I can't. I'm on what we will call GAME A for a few minutes, then it decides to deadline on me. It cuts right off, no warning or anything. GAME B cuts off every now and then. GAME C rarely cuts off.

My CPU Temperatures are pretty stable. 35C when Idle. Not high when playing games (Can't get exact CPU Temp right now) with no more than 40% load on eight cores.

My GPU Temperatures are great also, 50C when playing a pretty graphically demanding game.

There is no dust in my Computer nor do I get a safe boot option during startup. I don't know if Windows 8 Still allows that. All fans are working fine (I have 8 total).

So now, the question of all questions. What could be wrong?

Send a like my way if I helped you or if you found my post useful or even just enjoyed reading my post.
Thank you :)

#2 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

Have you checked if the games are compatiable? It sounds like either a memory leak or a ram issue.

Edited by Kadence, 29 April 2014 - 09:05 PM.

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#3 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

Comparable how?

Send a like my way if I helped you or if you found my post useful or even just enjoyed reading my post.

#4 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

I had a similar issue with video crashing my system after a driver update...and it stopped after I rolled the driver back (well, at least it hasn't happened again so far).

Does Windows 8 give you a similar error report as Windows 7 after recovery? If so you might try checking the minidump file (located at %SystemRoot%\Minidump in Win7).

Also a memory test might be in order. I had another similar problem with crashes because an unseated RAM module before as well. Everything ran fine until the particular RAM was attempted to be accessed...then the crash. It looked and felt like the module was all the way in, but it wasn't. After I removed it and reinstalled, it worked just fine, and the crashes stopped.

FACEB00K Likes this.

#5 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

I am just getting something along the lines of event id 6008.

Here is a YouTube of me preforming a memcheck86 test. 

In the description of the video, it says: "I made this for a forum post. I am getting crashes and if you cannot see, the last MEM check pattern was FEFEFEFE"

Edited by Thryckz, 29 April 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#6 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

I've only used mdsched.exe from MS for my mem test. If you want to try it just run it (it should be included in Win 8, and you'll have to restart your computer, as it runs at start up).

There are quite a few test (I eventually ran them all, and finally passed) and it takes while for them run. And if it crashes while it's running, you might want to re-seat your memory and run again.

Also, did your system shutdown in that video? Because it looked like the test was only about 70% complete! If it did shut down at that point, more than likely you have a memory problem...could be that it is not properly seated as mentioned before, or you could have a bad module.

FACEB00K Likes this.

#7 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

mdsched crashes during bootup.

#8 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

Also, did your system shutdown in that video? Because it looked like the test was only about 70% complete! If it did shut down at that point, more than likely you have a memory problem...could be that it is not properly seated as mentioned before, or you could have a bad module.

What about the vid you posted?

And if mdsched crashed during bootup, you might want to check that all of your RAM is seated properly, then try again.

FACEB00K Likes this.

#9 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

That was using memcheck86, that crashes during one of the patterns get tested.

What do you mean seated properly, what would be improper seating?

#10 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:29 PM

That was using memcheck86, that crashes during one of the patterns get tested.

What do you mean seated properly, what would be improper seating?

Proper seating means the the memory module is snapped completely into place. Take it out, then press it solidly back in, making sure it clicks into place on both ends then rerun the test. If that doesn't help, then you may have a bad module.

And if I remember correctly, you are running an AMD processor, so you can always take the modules out one-at-a-time, retesting each time you remove a module...that way if a module is bad, the test will complete once the bad module is removed from the slot.

I would start by removing the module in the highest slot and retest, and if it crashes, remove the next module...and retest... OR you could just test them one at a time. But make sure they are completely snapped in. And once the bad one is removed, the test should run completely through.

FACEB00K Likes this.

#11 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

I adhere to Gino's idea, it looks like a last-memory hardware not plugged well enough. check it all to well adjust and run some memory tests to make sure.

#12 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

I re-seated both modules and test it with individual modules, they both still crash. Is it my ram then? I also heard it could be my Power Supply. I would like to mention that my computer is somewhat newish for the most part and this recently started happening. Had this computer since August of last year.

Edited by Thryckz, 01 May 2014 - 12:06 PM.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download