Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Strong Mathematics background Useful?

math discrete programming student helpful triple major

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DrWallFlower

DrWallFlower

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, Objective-C, C#, Visual Basic .NET
  • Learning:C++, PHP

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

Hey everyone, I'm new to the CC, reading through all of this and I really like the community.

I'm a COMP Sci student who started at Texas Christian, then moved up to Iowa (because who can beat the living prices here?)

I've already earned my Software Development degree and now I'm earning my second degree in Numerical Computing.

I was wondering if any of you guys would advocate taking the 2 extra math courses to get my Mathematics degree as well. I'm very much on the fence on this idea because I don't know if a mathematics degree will help a ton (i know it would help a little) in finding something I really enjoy doing. With a numerical computing degree, I just don't see it completely necessary. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. 

-

D-Wall

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

It depends on what classes you'll be taking in those extra two math courses. As a mathematician who learned how to program, I can assure you that math shapes MUCH of how I view coding. On the other hand, not all jobs recognize that immediately. My company has some modules that rely on statistics, so my degree makes me the resident expert on those modules. I use various other branches of math to understand various coding constructs or strategies for solving various types of problems.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 DrWallFlower

DrWallFlower

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, Objective-C, C#, Visual Basic .NET
  • Learning:C++, PHP

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

The two courses I'd be taking are an Advance Discrete Structures class and a Linear Algebra class. 

I've already taken a lot of math for my Numerical Computing track which set me up well to go for a triple major.  I did take a statistics class as well. 

From the internships I've interviewed for so far none have asked about my mathematics background, but from what you've said it sounds like it would be very useful. 

** What kind of comp sci positions in companies make good use of math skills? And are these positions more advanced entry level, then say just a straight Software developer with a development degree?

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

Linear Algebra is the key to 3D graphics, for example. Discrete structures will give you a lot of ideas about how to think about how to structure your data. The applications aren't always obvious, and there's a LOT of coding that is fairly math light :)

The Math degree will probably do more to help you with advancement than getting that first job, though it can be a deciding factor.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: math, discrete, programming, student, helpful, triple major

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download